• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEORTM Tires

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
So this is for the small handful of SEORTM owners out there in Steel Soldiers land.
And maybe some of the Exspansible Van folks.

id_m811_06_700.jpg Borrowed from Olive-Drab
hqdefault.jpg Borrowed from some Russian Minecraft gaming site.

1.) What size tires & type are you running currently?
2.) What have you seen others use on the SEORTMs?
3.) Dual rears or singled out? M811s look to be duals in the rear, where the M944s look to be singled. On the singled M944 are the hubs flipped by the military?

The way the van body has a sharp edged trapezoidal shape over the rear axle makes me think there isn't much room for change, if you want the rear axle to have any use off road.
Also with the high metal body's center of gravity, would one want to make it even more tippy, by raising the axle higher off of the ground.

For the record I have an Faded FD red M811 with 12.00 x 20 NDTs. rear most axle is dual-ed and the middle axle is singled, with the inner tires missing.
My truck came from the Kititas FD, and was stripped and modified to be a mobile command center / cover troop transport.

I have 16.00 x 20s on Hemtt rims, from my M939 that spun the transmission, and I was toying with idea of swapping shoes between them.
Maybe the heavy rims and tires might lower the CG??
But I think I read that there is less weight in wheels after singling it out.
I will have to search that out again.

Now if I use the Bridge truck spacer& rims I might get a wider foot print.
I am sure glad OSO kept all of the rim related parts when he swapped up to 16.00 x 20s on the bridge truck.

I am going to camp in it as I work on improving a remote piece of property.
So getting it there will mean dirt roads and off road, and not at all level.

Another problem I see is the governor for the PTO generator won't let me get above 35 MPH when driving normal.
That is with the gas to the floor or the hand throttle pulled all the way open.
Add bigger wheels and those hill will turn into mountains.

Thanks for the input.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As fas as I know the hubs are not flipped. The super single rims can be bolted on with the dish in or out.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Thanks.
That is off road and one size larger.
Any SEORTMs with 1600x20s?

IMG_20170701_100838.jpgIMG_20170701_100939.jpg
Clearance on mine, current config, 1200 x 20 NDTs, btw.
Maybe it is the mudflap that is making the wheel well look smaller.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the same as your shop truck, but I've had 2 dump trucks, an 817 with 11.00-20 duals and an M929A2 with 14.00-20's. Carrying a load, like your truck with a high center of gravity (and my loaded dump)....the 11.00 dual was much more stable. I'd like to go dual 12.00r20 in place of the 14.00's.

tgorham

My 1977 M811 has dual 11.00 x 20 non-directional.
One of the governors on my truck was a hex head bolt, limited me to 1,000 R.P.M.s
I have an embarrassing question to ask you; My PTO does not spin the generator, is there more to it than pulling up on the lever? The linkage works into the transfer case.

red

My 1977 M811 has dual 11.00 x 20 non-directional.
One of the governors on my truck was a hex head bolt, limited me to 1,000 R.P.M.s
I have an embarrassing question to ask you; My PTO does not spin the generator, is there more to it than pulling up on the lever? The linkage works into the transfer case.
If the truck uses a transfercase PTO then to engage it:
Transmission in neutral
Tcase in neutral
PTO lever engaged
Clutch in, place transmission in gear (wreckers use 3rd, 4th, 5th depending on use), release clutch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks