• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Separate 12 volt system

devilman96

I don't see a problem with it and have considered doing that very build for Pinz owners when I get through with the M35 stuff.

I would probably use a mag unit which is much smaller as you really don't need all of that juice for accessories. It would also be a lot less drag too....

Looks like those guys have their stuff together. . . nice to see modders putting out quality work for MV's.

Pinz25086

Have you looked at the Solar Converters Autotransformer? http://www.solarconverters.com/product_frame.html This will allow you to keep a 12 volt battery charged without having a separate 12 Alt. It also will allow you to jump start your truck from a 12 volt source. This mod has been done by many in the Pinz crowd. Chuck in Jax has one on his truck. He is a great guy and would be able to let you hear his point of view. After looking at many different ideas I have decided that this is what will be going on my truck. The problem with the set up you are looking at is the hole that must be cut in the engine cover.

Do you get down towards Orlando any? We have a group of Pinz owners that get together about every other month and go out to the woods. We will be going this Sat to Richloam (near Tampa) if you (or anyone else) would like to tag along. There are about 6-710s and 2-712s here locally. We always have room for more.

Wayne

Boelt63A

12V

My 710 has a solarconverter's system in it and I really like it. I have a separate 12 volt battery in the tool box and use that for all my twelve volt accesories. An added benefit of the third battery is that if the 24 volt sytem dies you can jump start the truck with the twelve volt battery.

Mike mounted the system under the dog box and I didn't have to cut anything , I just pulled the wires in trough some ot the holes already in the cab. Hooked up a fuse box and had twelve volt in the cab. This system is seperate from the main switch so if you dissconnect your batteries your 12 volt system is not affected and your radioes won't loose memory

Chuck

Attachments

Boelt63A

Got it from a guy in SC who's wife wouldn't let him get a boat until he got rid of one of his other toys. Drove it home from Charleston Saturday. :beer:
As soon as I get the insurance, tag, and title squared away I'll be on the road again.

I'm not giving up on the Worm, but I can't haul much in my other vehicle and it will be a long time till I get the Worm back into shape.

(Sounds like an excuse to me too, but logic is a funny thing when MV's are involved) :cookoo:

Chuck

Boelt63A

One of the things to think about with throwing anything more under the dog box is that everything in there will act as a heat sink. This being an aircooled engine that might prove to be a problem. ie less is more. My two cents worth.

Chuck

Boelt63A

Sure that is why I got a pinz instead of a Mog. I did about 60 the whole way even had to pass a few people :shock:

We drove 1/4 tons (M151's) down the highway when I was in the Army and they topped out around 50-55 depending on how brave you were.

You could put an additional oil cooler in there but most of them are designed to hang low so as to catch the slipstream under the vehicle. Thus something more to catch on rocks or stumps if you are off the beaten path; or mount it on top with oil lines running up there. :?

Chuck

6x6pinz

I drive my Pinz's (712M and 710M) around 30K miles a year, about half of that is on the highway. We have a couple of guys in the SWPA who use their Pinz as a daily (only) driver. The Pinz is very capable of running 55mph for extended periods of time. The biggest draw back is the drivers ability to handle the comfort level or lack there of.

Chuck, nice to see you back in a Pinz. I know that you will enjoy the added room the 712 will provide. A long drive but the RMP Treffen is coming at the end of the month. Hope to see some of you there.

I use a converter for my 12v stuff. I have a couple radios, gps, lights, intercom, air compressor and a five plug outlet in the 712. I have never had any power issues but then most modern electronics don't take much power. If I were to use a 12v winch a different power source would be needed. As for radio memory I added a small 12v battery out of an exit light to keep power to the radios. It will run the radio for a short time and recharges when the main power switch is turned on. I know it is a very simple system but then so is the Pinz.

Boelt63A

Thanks Mike,

I'm getting used to the 712 at this point. I have another car, but it's a lease and I can't put alot of miles on it.
I had put a fair number of miles on my 710 before my adventures earlier this year. I enjoy driving the pinz to work and out to my Mom's farm which is about an hour west of me. That is all highway driving and the truck has always been up to the trip.

Coming from Charleston I stopped once to let the dog out at a rest area and then topped off the tank in GA to make sure I got all the way to Jax, and it did just fine.

Chuck

Boelt63A

Vince,

I have found that alot of the Pinz aftermarket guys are like crow, a lot of talk without much to back it up. Forums like this are the best place to find what individuals make work.

I have no doubt Mike will come up with a suitable alternative but I wouldn't wait around for it for the time being.

I have never had trouble with the battery system I told you about. keep me informed if I can help out.

Chuck

U4x4T

U4x4T Response to Pinz 12 Volt Upgrade

I think it would be a good time for me to respond to this thread. A good client of mine just clued me in on the discussion going on.

My name is Robert Crow and I am the owner of Ultimate 4x4's of Texas.

As you all read, I stated that I was not able to ship this "kit" out as I had originally intended. It just didn't work out. Prototypes have that problem.

I don't doubt anyone's capability in performing this upgrade, I just rather not deal with the potential warranty when something goes wrong on a custom modification, especially out of state.

Bottom line, I have been very busy lately and not had a chance to update the web site. An individual contacted me regarding this product, and I responded.

If this person would like to design one himself, go right ahead. It isn't that complicated. Take a Toyota Tercel 55 Amp alternator, make a bracket to hold it against the engine, install a longer belt, and away you go. There are a few more things involved which I have painfully learned that I will gladly share with you if you contact me.

My suggestion is this- go with a simple 50AMP 24-12VDC Converter/Charger that is available for direct purchase and hook up with out this mess. Alternator should handle it fine. Contact me if you want pictures and details.

Good luck, and call me anytime if you have any questions. My number is listed below...it is my cell phone, and I usually answer it 24 hours a day.

Regards,
Robert Crow :D
Ultimate 4x4's of Texas
713-898-6510

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks