• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Serenity" - My M101A2 expedition trailer build

parapyropig

Been a lurker here for a looooong time, and it's about time I start pulling my weight.

When I got her:

Restored:

I found a $4500 work topper for $300 and decided it would be perfect for my expedition build idea.

Bringing it home:

The interior is bigger than I hoped, given the side cabinets.

Then came the hand tools, cutters, grinders, hardware, and LOTS of rattlecan paint:

I didn't like the weaknesses inherent with the double doors, so I've decided to go another way:

This way, the integrity of the trailer is maintained, security increased, and much less work to do to make it weathertight.

Homemade rear hatch:

Adding

RTT, nosebox housing electrics, etc...

LEDs:

First time above 10,000ft:

At the Ouray KOA:

At the 2013 FJ Summit:

Aaaaand, I just picked up a sister for Serenity:

It's a M116A3 with a M101A2-ish bed that I picked up for $500.00. I put the sides & ribs from my A2 restore on it.

More to follow as soon as I find the other images...

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool trailer but wading through photobucket to see all the neatness was a pain. I've done 2 3/4 ton trailers with steel toppers and later this year will be number 3.

parapyropig

Excellent work.
Mreci!

How does the FJ do towing it?
With a short hitch, like it was on rails, and it tracked directly behind the rear tires of the FJ. Ive taken it through the better part of 250 miles off-road, including swamps. No worries.

In fact, it's even much more watertight than my FJ & even floats... sort of. Long story. I don't want to talk about it. Needless to say, learning occurred. aua

I towed it from the West Palm Beach area all the way to Ouray, through the Owl Creek Pass, twice over the Continental Divide, to Denver, St. Louis, Lexington, Atlanta, and then back home inside of three weeks time. Over 5000 miles.

Of course, my truck was averaging ~11-13 MPG. With a good tailwind.;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks