• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serial Number on 818

bigelk50

I would imagine so. I know that i have seen a frame # in the same spot on mine. I will go look. I never really paid attention to it.

Stan

So there is a # there. If your vin is the # on your data plate on your dash I don't think it will necessarly match. I'm not certain but the frame # is from the mfg. the dash # may be the military's assigned #. Let's see what the survey has to say. Thanks for looking.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are definitely VIN #s on the side of the frame by the front left wheel. My M817 had the paint over the number scraped off revealing the #. I am not sure why they scraped the paint off, but I suspect it had something to do with shipping the truck back from Iraq...or so I was told by CARNAC and others.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So there is a # there. If your vin is the # on your data plate on your dash I don't think it will necessarly match. I'm not certain but the frame # is from the mfg. the dash # may be the military's assigned #. Let's see what the survey has to say. Thanks for looking.
Your VIN number is technically the one on the frame not the dataplate. People can 'monkey' around with the dataplate. It is fairly easy to do on deuces and 5 tons. It is totally against regulations in the military to do it. If the entire cab is changed....well, I doubt folks will go back and make it right but I'd never seen an entire cab change done except in a total rebuild when they would change the dataplate.

This is not yelling but just for emphasis:

YOUR FRAME NUMBER MUST MATCH YOUR DATAPLATE TO BE 100% LEGIT.

When I looked at Bruce's M817, it was obvious the truck had seen time in Iraq. Two scenarios
The later the time served, the more detailed the departure process becomes. So when it came time to depart, a verification by frame number was required to avoid the potential for stolen vehicles being integrated into the unit to cover a unauthorized loss. When I was signing for items, I would always check the frame.
The second scenario is an experienced commander wanted to verify is property documents by frame number. Most don't but a few out there are old school and know to do this.

As another issue, many folks register/title their vehicles with the military registration number and serial number in one string as the VIN. This is incorrect. The serial number is the VIN and only the serial number. Again, this goes back to the fact that only the serial number is on the frame among other reasons.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not related to the 818 but this is one of my pet peaves. If the original data plate does not match the numbers on the frame, I consider it a parts truck. Case in point! My latest blue M59 was purchased without a data plate. I can determine the year and mfr from the frame number but without the original data plate, I lose interest in restoring it. My old M275A2 had a non original data plate and it was one character short of the numbers on the frame. This is one of the factors that pushed me to sell it. Yep, I'm anal when it comes to this. I still want to strip everything off my AMGE deuce and put it on an old frame (gasser) with matching data plate.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So is the Vin # fore or aft of the axle, on the left side?? Paint is very thick and need a starting point for sanding/scraping. Weird, when I did a forum search this thread did not come up. I found it by going back through pages of thread posts.

OnionRing

M37's had the serial number on the left side frame rail next to the drivers side wheel too. Maybe a common factor for most of the M-series trucks?

998Junkie

So is the Vin # fore or aft of the axle, on the left side?? Paint is very thick and need a starting point for sanding/scraping. Weird, when I did a forum search this thread did not come up. I found it by going back through pages of thread posts.​
On my M818 it was about mid way in the frame and foward of the front axle, to the right of the power steering gear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks