• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seriously looking at lmtv need input please

tburk49760

Finally rained here, helped a lot with all the fires! Lund water in the cab... Turret cover leaks like crazy! One more thing to fix. I think this truck has such low miles because it sat at a gate pulling guard duty. The gunners platform shows lots of wear and the turret cover doesn't match the rest of the truck. Must be weatherstrip is worn out too?

shadowrwolf

Finally rained here, helped a lot with all the fires! Lund water in the cab... Turret cover leaks like crazy! One more thing to fix. I think this truck has such low miles because it sat at a gate pulling guard duty. The gunners platform shows lots of wear and the turret cover doesn't match the rest of the truck. Must be weatherstrip is worn out too?

if the cover will be long term not being taken on and off often just use butal tape when you re seat it, it is what they use on RVs around all fittings can find it at most RV supply stores

tburk49760

Finally got it licensed Friday! What an ordeal. Mostly because the state I live in is trying to be more like California... I need to be able to drive the truck and pull a trailer with either my dozer or backhoe for non commercial purposes. After much discussion with the state DOL and me pointing out the fact that their information is misleading and contradicting in multiple ways... We agreed that farm exempt is the way. I'm not a farmer mind you... Yet. In Washington if you pull a trailer that is rated at 10,001 pounds or more, you must have a cdl. I can't and won't do that for several reasons, one of which is the hassle and cost. The challenge was getting a DOT number as required by the state for the farm exempt status. All said and done, the DOT number is free, I'm not subject to any DOT rules, inspections or record keeping and I can legally tow my own equipment! Whew! Time to regear and add power so this beast is more road friendly...

tburk49760

Pulled he heater apart Thursday to repair the control cables. All seemed to work well... Drove it the 65 miles to the remote property and the thing is leaking antifreeze. Aaaargh. Likely jiggled a clamp or some such. I love doing a job twice. I did find plenty of missing hardware whilst in there.

tburk49760

Tomato tomato.. Chunks, third members blah blah�� New gears that will allow me to cruise at lower rpm. Hopefully won't be sadly underpowered. The plan all along has been to sensibly and safely add some power. The dream is to make it more drive able and get close to 11mpg. Yup, I'm a dreamer.

Lmtv772

Banned
Tomato tomato.. Chunks, third members blah blah😊 New gears that will allow me to cruise at lower rpm. Hopefully won't be sadly underpowered. The plan all along has been to sensibly and safely add some power. The dream is to make it more drive able and get close to 11mpg. Yup, I'm a dreamer.
I don't even know what half of your post is all about... 'tomato tomato...' what does that mean?
'Chunks, third members blah blah' Is this all rhethorical ?
You dream of safely add more power and get 11mpg? Are you sure you've bought the right vehicle?

I'm confused. Well back to my own problems.

Overdrive

Lmtv772,
Just curious how things are arranged in there as well as potential routing of wiring through the plug above the air controls for a custom switch and radio box. Would also like to see how the heater core is plumbed and fan setup.
Thanks!
OD

By the way today's auction was a bloodbath but I was successful in winning an LMTV... Maximum Overdrive is born.

Last edited:

tburk49760

I plan on regearing the beast this weekend. The rear seems easy, the front not so much. It appears as though I will need to really disassemble the front end in order to slide the axles out enough to remove the center section. The thought of messing with the reduction boxes troubles me. Hopefully, I can remove the king pin bearings or whatever the equivalent thing is and pull the steering knuckle to slide the axle shafts out. Stand by for more to come with pics...

tburk49760

Operation regear is complete. Went for a test drive and I am very pleased! This truck is way more driveable! 72mph with a gravity assist and happy to cruise at 64! 60 is much quieter... Also did a muffler delete. Loving the new exhaust note!