• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serpentine belt tensioner question

Westo

I was beginning the process of alternator removal today for a few different things, but before I could even get started on that I got stuck with my belt tensioner. It's supposed to have a 3/8ths hole to use a socket/breaker bar on, but mine looks like this.
IMG_20231001_095039.jpg
The edges of the hole are rounded off, and a section of it has broken off entirely. I was not able to loosen it using that method, and even if I was I wouldn't trust it to last. I did notice this line in the instructions for belt removal:

"Position 3/8-in. breaker bar or, as appropriate, a 1/2-in. ratchet wrench on belt tensioner (7) and move tensioner (7) clockwise to loosen drivebelt (9)"

Since the 3/8th socket is out I'm looking at the 1/2 ratchet to see if that would work. However, I have no idea how a ratchet wrench would be used to adjust the tensioner, and there doesn't seem to be anything further about it in the TM.

Any advice or knowledge appreciated.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found with mine I could press down hard on the belt at the top between the idler pulleys and slip it off the pulley, and that let all the tension off of it. No tools needed.

Westo

I was able to use a ratchet strap to de tension the belt, take off the broken tensioner and replace it with a new one. Getting the belt back on with the ratchet strap was much harder, I just barely got enough slack in the belt to slip it back on and tore up part of the ratchet strap doing it. Thinking this might be the newer part having a stronger spring.

Now that I can theoretically de tension it the proper way, I started trying to use a breaker bar per the manual and immediately found that it wasn't going to fit. I was able to get a 1/2 socket wrench with an adapter in there but putting all my weight on it made it move about 1/8th of its travel.

Is there a better way to do this, or do I just need to bulk up and be able to use the 1/2 socket wrench on it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks