• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serpentine Belts

rue_69

Has anybody ever done a complete write up on what's required to put a serpentine setup on? I searched and only came up with threads that were arguing the good/bad points of using serp belts.

rue_69

nope. don't think you will find any mounting system for 2 large case GM alts. that's your problem

Yea, your probably right, but even if there was a write up for going to a single alternator it would be cool. It might give me a little more ambition to convert to 12 volt.

Keith_J

Yea, your probably right, but even if there was a write up for going to a single alternator it would be cool. It might give me a little more ambition to convert to 12 volt.
And of what benefit is a 12 volt conversion? One less battery/alternator?

Starters spin easier because current draw is 1/2. Solenoids last longer. And much like having 240 volt in your house, you can wire 12 volt loads from either side, just don't use body ground but two wires to each side.

burbn10

Yeah. I like having my 24v starter in winter. My 12v system on my 6.5TD Suburban is near worthless when the temps get below zero, but my M1008 will crank right over.

acmunro

On my first MV I thought when this 24v stuff gives me problems I'll just convert to 12v. Then winter came and my
civi 12v 6.2's would hardly turn over and the 24v 6.2's cranked about like summertime. Now there have been times
when I have considered putting the 24v system in the civi trucks. Probably won't happen, but I have thought about it.

TedG

This is one of the latest serp setups for the 6.5TD in the hmmwv's. Also, the water pump has to be a reverse rotation unit (not the standard wp) This one does not have the ac setup but just requires the left bracket to be changed. Dual generator (12/24vdc) are nice to have. The 12vdc is used on the TCM for the 4L80E transmission. Military serps are 8 groove, civi are 6. I hope this helps.

Attachments

rue_69

Wow, I had envisioned it looking so much simpler than that. I thought it should be just like a Civvy 6.5L setup, but instead of an AC compressor, you would have another alternator.

skark_burmer

I have done one serp conversion and in the process of another 2.
Easiest way is to find a late engine with the serp system and do a motor swap.
you can get 28V alternators that fit in the civvy location as well if you wanted to keep the 24V, although when i have done mine its gone to 12V.
I think finding all the parts and brackets would be a tremendous pain.