• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

service sticker on 803a

smokem joe

I was moving the remaining gen sets I have around and noticed this sticker on an 803a. Hours on meter match the sticker. Anyone have any idea what all was done with this repair? No documentation inside on this one.

IMG_1373.jpg

69birdman

I was moving the remaining gen sets I have around and noticed this sticker on an 803a. Hours on meter match the sticker. Anyone have any idea what all was done with this repair? No documentation inside on this one.

View attachment 729926
That's what I found on mine, along with several other markings . Meter showed 3hrs more. I've heard someone say IROAN: stands for Inspect Replace Only As Needed. ???

20180226_151546.jpg20180124_125132.jpg20180124_125119.jpg20180124_125305_001.jpg

smokem joe

i haven't had time to get into this one and probably won't for months yet. Looking inside the motor looked pretty new. That's one of the reasons I was asking. If it turns out it is new and not reman so much the better! It's been sitting a long time though and my experience has been more problems with low hour engines that sit than higher hour units that have been run more.

smokem joe

Ok I started going through this unit today. It was rebuilt in 2011 just like it says. Do they ever reissue tag with serial number on it? This unit does not have the captured nuts where it should for a 2011 either. It looks like a 2009 or older unit that has had a tag with date and serial number reissued.

Oh, and the rebuild wasn't very good quality either. I have found wires in wrong places and the fuel filter was installed with a new one but missing the spring. That means the fuel was just shooting around the filter instead of going through it. This is what I found in the space of a couple hours. We will see what else comes up as I go through it.

Last edited:

Zed254

IROAN Inspect and Repair Only As Necessary

h. IROAN. That maintenance technique which determines the
minimum repairs necessary to restore equipment, components, or
assemblies to prescribed maintenance serviceability standards by
using all available diagnostic equipment and test procedures and
by minimizing disassembly and parts replacement. These procedures
will place the system in good-to-excellent operating capability
(condition code A). Refer to appendix F for guidance/
additional information.

Found the quote here: https://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCO P5215.17C.

Last edited:

smokem joe

I had seen something like that, but I think the document I saw was army instead of marines. The paperwork in the door matches what this says with all repairs noted.

Couple things I found today working on it. Very poor quality on the rebuild. I picked up a whole handful of screws and nuts out of the control box area. I got another handful out of the bottom of the set. But the worst thing was finding it didn't have the fuse mod done. I would have thought that was standard procedure to add to any rebuild. Oil pressure is down around 25 after it warms up. That doesn't say good things about the engine! I think I will pull the panel off the side and take a look at bearings and pickup screen. Pressure was verified by mechanical gauge so I know it is right.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I think, what you are calling a "new" data plate ( picture 5 in post 4) is the data plate for the accountability people. Read that bean counters and Commanders. It's something relatively new, in the last 10-12 years. The info on the data plate is scanned by the supply Sgt or commander, during change of command, 10% monthly inventorys, shipments, transfer of equipment, or issue. Believe it or not, but this kind of thing consumers immense amounts of time. With the ability to simply point and scan, well, something that ate up hours and hours of my day, became a matter of minutes.

csheath

Unless it has a sticker or plate indicating that it got a new engine I would bet it did not. I have seen several photos on here of units that DID get new engines and most all of those had some specific indication the the engine was indeed replaced. Many had new hour meters installed with a decal stating what the hours were at that time.

My unit had a big ol decal that read RESET. The engine is clearly the original and matches the genset in color and age appearance. The service documentation that came with it made reference to replacing the fuel return lines, a couple of gauges, and a load test. Clearly my RESET did not include a new engine or rebuild.

Guyfang

Staff member
Reset was never intended to replace motors. Read the document on file here. It was to return the equipment to fully operational status.

smokem joe

. If you look at the main data plate it is missing some of the details that are on the originals, warranty, date inspected, control no. etc. Stamps on metal inside and on all the electronics all say mid 2007 on them.

Attachments

Last edited:

smokem joe

Unless it has a sticker or plate indicating that it got a new engine I would bet it did not. I have seen several photos on here of units that DID get new engines and most all of those had some specific indication the the engine was indeed replaced. Many had new hour meters installed with a decal stating what the hours were at that time.

My unit had a big ol decal that read RESET. The engine is clearly the original and matches the genset in color and age appearance. The service documentation that came with it made reference to replacing the fuel return lines, a couple of gauges, and a load test. Clearly my RESET did not include a new engine or rebuild.
I'm wondering if the engine was powerwashed and painted?

Last edited:

smokem joe

Oh, ran the unit under load today too. It wouldn't hold 8000 watts without kicking overload in 10 minutes or so. Cleaned s6 and s8 and it held 12.5 just fine, after building up to that amount over a couple hours

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment 735984View attachment 735985First picture is what I am calling the data plate. Second picture is reset plate. Reset plate says 3/11. Data plate says 4/11. So somehow it was reset before it was made lol. If you look at the main data plate it is missing some of the details that are on the originals, warranty, date inspected, control no. etc. Stamps on metal inside and on all the electronics all say mid 2007 on them.

The first picture is the data plate. It's probably a remade data plate, due to a lost/unreadable original. The second picture has nothing to do with reset. It's simply there for accountability. Point the laser, pull the trigger, and it's scanned into your reader. Nothing more.

i correct myself. On the bottom is a rebuild date. That's new to me, but I stopped working on these set a while back. Rebuild may not mean Reset. Intresting question. The guy I would normally ask, is out for lunch, so to speak.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I think the barcode plate is for accountability, and seems to be limited to the MCB Albany units.
No, I was on post last week, looking at some HEMMT A5's, parked next to the Burger King. Saw the same type plates on them. They are for accountability, but on all equipment now a days.

smokem joe

The first picture is the data plate. It's probably a remade data plate, due to a lost/unreadable original. The second picture has nothing to do with reset. It's simply there for accountability. Point the laser, pull the trigger, and it's scanned into your reader. Nothing more.

i correct myself. On the bottom is a rebuild date. That's new to me, but I stopped working on these set a while back. Rebuild may not mean Reset. Intresting question. The guy I would normally ask, is out for lunch, so to speak.
I don't think it was reset. I've got way to many issues with this to be reset. I fixed the fuel gauge problem I had tonight-broken wire. Not chewed, just broken. And seeing as it had no hours past what the sticker from the rebuild said I have to think it went out like this.

Also, another sign of a bad mechanic, I found tools left on top of the fuel tank when I removed the access cover to get to the sending unit. Seems to be some sloppy work coming out of Albany!

jamawieb

They are not all out of Albany. I've bought several with the same tag, out of OKC and Ohio. I've dealt with several and all seem to have new create motors with no other work done to them.

Guyfang

Staff member
You might see some from over here soon. A bunch of Gen sets, maybe 30-40 and about that many trucks and trailers were being loaded up in Grafenwoir for shipment to the states.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks