• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Set of tools in CUCV...

taildragger03

Had the thought the other day about what tools would one or should carry with the CUCV's in the event that they let us down in the world.

Pawnshop

Every time I use a tool on my M1009 I put it in a box in the back of the truck, eventually I will have every necessary tool IN the truck that I need to work ON the truck. And ditto on the 13mm/15mm wrenches...

jimm1009

You also need a 10mm deepwell for pulling the glow plugs and a
torx bit (don't remember what the bit size is but can find it tomorrow) for changing the head light is you want to remove the headlight trim first.
A hydraulic bottle style jack because the OEM jacks are junk and a cross bar style lug nut wrench make things a little easier in case one goes down on the bottom side.
I recommend getting some closed lug nuts to protect the threads on the wheel mounting studs.
They usually only come in chrome but that little bit does not seem to stand out too bad and no more galled threads from mud or grime.
jimm1009

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I had a USMC Major once tell me the most important tool for me to carry in my truck was a charged cell phone, a warning triangle, and a reflective vest. He was implying the truck wouldn't make it the 770 miles from MD to GA. It did.

As for tools, I carry metric and standard ratchet wrenchs, select metric and standard 3/8 in dr sockets with handle and short and long extension, a 8 in wrench, channel locks, pliers, needle nose pliers, a allen wrench for the lights, electrical tape, couple piece of wire, flat and phillips head screwdrivers large, a ratcheting screwdriver with multiple bits, and probably have one or two others. Except for the ratchet wrenches, it all fits into a standard mil spec tool bag that is part of the BII with plent of room to spare. The ratchet wrenches are in tool rolls and kept in a second bag.

Last edited:

Stihl029

I put all the tools I use on my jeep and m1028 in the service body on the back of the M1028. Its nice to have storage. Oh i usually have about enough oil and fluids to do a full change at any given moment. I know kinda crazy but its just incase, oh and tired of catching **** for keeping more automotive stuff in the pantry than goods.