• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Severely disabled HMMWV adopted

cucvrus

I have adopted a HMMWV M998 that has severe engine problems. And the worst part is I did not cause the problems or disassemble the parts from the engine. I know my way around a CUCV a little. Any way let me introduce you to my adopted HMMWV. DSCF6893.jpgNot bad from this point of viewDSCF6877.jpgDSCF6869.jpgDSCF6870.jpgDSCF6871.jpgDSCF6872.jpgDSCF6873.jpgDSCF6874.jpgDSCF6875.jpgDSCF6876.jpgThe problem was it was bought with a bad engine. My Son was going to change the engine. The weather/personal life and his work got the best of him and it just kept getting pushed to the side. It is NOT mine but I like it and wanted to make the HMMWV step up and learn some things about them. They look very simple and easy to work on. I will need some help/direction once I set the new engine in place and go to hook everything back up on this abused / neglected HMMWV. Just look. I torched the connecting rods from the crank shaft and removed all the main bearings just so I could get the 6 torque converter bolts out. The engine was junk and I did not want to chance damaging the front pump on the transmission. So I worked a little harder. What else is new? I will post more. The owner is watching me. The engine is just sitting under the hood because of gravity.

cucvrus

DSCF6888.jpgDSCF6886.jpgDSCF6887.jpgDSCF6885.jpgDSCF6884.jpgDSCF6880.jpgDSCF6879.jpgDSCF6877.jpgDSCF6878.jpgThis engine had issues before it was taken apart by my Son. I did go a bit overboard pulling it but wanted to get it down to basics so I could see what was wrong with it and lighten it up. I am working outside at this time and I like natural sunlight. I am 25 feet from a cement floor and will wheel it inside to pull the engine block. I burnt the connecting rods off because that was the only way I could think to get it apart. It was a success. I am sure this is not the first 6.2 that will be on the scrap pile and not the last. Scrap steel is $8. a hundred here in Pennsylvania. Time to move the scrap pile.

cucvrus

DSCF6890.jpgDSCF6889.jpgDSCF6892.jpgDSCF6891.jpgI will need a civilian part number for the front and rear U-joint. I also need a right head lamp and a left park turn lamp. And will J code 6.2 intake gaskets work? Where do I get the O-rings/seals for the oil filter adapter? I am sure they are not reusable. Or maybe they are. I think I want new ones. And are the manuals down loaded on this site. I will need them for reassembly. i did NOT do the initial disassembly. A help will be appreciated. Thank you.

infidel got me

Don't feel bad, my soon to be 998 needs a new motor also. Mine has only had the injectors, alternator, and belts removed. Someone also helped themselves to the headlight and ignition switch.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Junk that motor and get a known good take out...faster, cheaper...happier....beleive me.
i have 3 here at the shop...they are not locked up and complete...come get"em...500.00

cucvrus

I already have an engine for it. I have 6.2 engines that were taken out of HMMWV to put 6.5 engines in. I have the complete engine. California is a bit far t go for an engine.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have several u-joints for the HMMWV. Let me know the numbers you need.

Good luck on the project I love seeing the underdogs return to life.

tage

That's one way to skin a cat. Did the needles/cups come with that drive shaft? I have been known to swap out caps for pto u joints.
Good price on scrap. Here it's 50$ a ton if the yards will take it...

Dark Night

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a headlight as well. Just replaced both of mine and one was burnt.

That old motor would make a nice coffee table... Piece of glass on top... Don't even clean it up... Leave it roached!

Good luck on the rebuild. You're gonna have some fun!

cucvrus

DSCF6916.jpgDSCF6909.jpgDSCF6910.jpgDSCF6911.jpgDSCF6912.jpgDSCF6913.jpgDSCF6914.jpgDSCF6915.jpgI did a little Red Neck engine extraction. The crank fell right out the bottom and the block was an easy pluck from the engine bay. I never even put the vehicle in the garage. I am winging this job with out any help of manuals. So far so good. It is the same as a CUCV only easier to access everything. Onto the scrap pile. A little engine block gardening with the wheel barrow. I seem to have to do everything the hard way. But I still get it done. I like natural sunlight to work in. I will pull the nose of the HMMWV into the garage to set the new engine in and then pull it back out to hook everything up to it. I have the starter and alternator at the re-builder and am ready to get wrenching on this project soon. I have 1 week vacation at the end of the month into next month. I have a lot of parts that some of you guys are waiting for. I will get these all handled during that time. Please be patient. I have been working 55 hours a week at my regular job.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys, please keep the "parts wanted" and "parts for sale" in the classifieds

Back on track, looks like the you have a great project to work on. The TMs are in the manuals section

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF6882.jpgDSCF6881.jpgCould someone enlighten me about the rubber plug in the bottom of the HMMWV fuel tank? Is this an expansion type plug with a bolt in the middle? This one is leaking and has been since the vehicle came here.

cucvrus

DSCF6943.jpgDSCF6944.jpgDSCF6946.jpgI pulled one of my spare engines from storage and am going over it and going to replace all the seals and gaskets before I install it. A lot easier now then later. I covered it with a blanket time for rest. 11 hours of plying today makes a man tired. I bought a few of these as take outs that they were swapping in 6.5 engines. They were all low mile engines and they have been stored in my barn and S280 shed. Have a great day. I want this engine under the hood by next weekend. just under the hood bolted fast will be good to start with. I will hook it all up during the last week of May and the first week of June. Hope to have it completed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks