• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Severely disabled HMMWV adopted

cucvrus

Does the water pump on a 6.2 Diesel CUCV fit a 6.2 HMMWV? I am working on putting a replacement engine in a 1992 M998 and want to replace the water pump before I put the engine in. I can look at the 2 side by side but just wanted to ask if anyone knew. If not I will do the research by buying a new one for a 1992 GM 3500 truck with a 6.2 engine.

cucvrus

Thank you for the water pump reply. I also wondered why a HMMWV has such a heavy starter in comparison to a CUCV? The CUCV starter spins the same engine at 1/3 the mass and weight. I took the HMMWV starter to be rebuilt and it was missing a half dollar sized screw in cap on the solenoid. The entire starter was full of mud and sand. I finally had it spinning and it was grinding and roaring when it spun. I think the CUCV starter will work at 1/2 the price. Why would this thing need such a big starter? Just wondering out loud. Seems dumb to have a huge starter hanging from the same trouble spot as a CUCV.

cucvrus

I guess I will stick with the HMMWV starter. But I wanted to put that question out there to why the HMMWV has the big heavy starter and the CUCV starter would do the same thing. Am I missing something here? I don't change things but I still question this set up. Does one starter do something the other can't? I have had my CUCV in deepwater up to the brake pedal many times. I say the starter was under water at these times. And the HMMWV starter has a tighter water proof case from the looks of it. Could that be the only difference? Or can you crank that heavy thing twice as long and not burn it up? The world may never know.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That big starter might just be a product of DOD specs. In reference to the water pumps, the HMMWV with serpentine belt spins the water pump in the opposite direction I've heard. This would require a different pump or at least impeller.

cucvrus

A 1992 HMMWV M998 with a 6.2 does not have a serpentine belt. It has 3 V belts. I think it should have enclosed gear driven PS and Alternator. Why not? But do you think the CUCV starter would work just as well?

cucvrus

DSCF7070.jpgDSCF7069.jpgLook at that an empty barn bay. My garage. It was never empty for 26 years. No use breaking the record. I will fill it quickly with a HMMWV. DSCF7074.jpgDSCF7072.jpgDSCF7071.jpgDSCF7068.jpgDSCF7076.jpgDSCF7077.jpgThe M998 would not fit in my garage with the bows on it. They were poorly installed by someone being all that they could be one weekend at a NC NG station. They are off now and the roof tarp. It was holding 20 gallons of water and a million mosquitoes larvae. This is in the shop for setting the engine. I hope to have it completed and out quickly. I still have a half dozen CUCV's stashed away that need my undivided attention. 1 day at a time. I also have my Cadillac that I want to drive this summer. I bought that as a CUCV also. Civilian Under Cover Vehicle. It was listed as a 1996 CUC/V . That is about all I am going to say about that. Have a great weekend. Imagine I rode the motor bike and smoked chicken today also. Tomorrow is another day.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF7081.jpgDSCF7082.jpgDSCF7083.jpgDSCF7085.jpgI made some progress today on the HMMWV 6.2 engine. I have a few questions I will post in the next thread. If all you are going to say is read the TM's don't bother replying. I worked on several vehicles today and this is the one I had the most fun with. Beats a jigsaw puzzle anytime. I have been cleaning each part, nut and bolt as I assemble the engine. DSCF7099.jpgThis is how I left it a few minutes ago. I covered it up and called it a day. Next thread is questions. Honest helpful answers only. I can guess myself I need facts. Please. If not I will wing it and get by anyway.

cucvrus

DSCF7097.jpgWhat is this clip for on the rear of the right cylinder head? The engine that was in the HMMWV did not have one. Please be patient. I did NOT remove the engine. I am pretty talented with this engine but in CUCV's not HMMWV. DSCF7098.jpgThis is the hole at the rear of the left head. Does anything go there? I have a couple HMMWV engines and they are all different. Most have just a cover plate on both sides. Any ideas? Remember the heads were off when I started this job. I am just asking if it gets a cover or a sensor?

cucvrus

DSCF7086.jpgDSCF7087.jpgDSCF7088.jpgDSCF7089.jpgI am asking for some help in identifying these parts and where they go? Please answer if you know for sure. I will make a trip and look at another HMMWV if I have to. DSCF7096.jpgAlso is this the correct way that the injection lines get fastened down? I am winging along here. I am a CUCV guy and this looks the same as a CUCV under the hood. CDR valve and everything. I did not take it apart but I will get it back together properly. And people think the CUCV fuel filter is bad. What is this thing like to service?DSCF7100.jpgDSCF7084.jpgThese are the glow plugs I removed from the bad heads. Do HMMWV have swelling issues also? It seems they do from the looks of these glow plugs. I was able to remove all but 1 without breaking them The one broken one was broken off and no other part was in the pre chamber. DSCF7101.jpgVise Grips and a pry bar. Same technique I use on CUCV's.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I went to the Gap today and was able to locate and identify all the HMMWV parts. From this point forward I should be good. I will have to return and look again. I seen many in the scrap area.

cucvrus

DSCF7106.jpgDSCF7107.jpgDSCF7108.jpgDSCF7109.jpgDSCF7110.jpgDSCF7111.jpgMoving right along. Can you check out my bracket on the water pump and the big aluminum bracket. Do they appear to be correct in the bolt/stud configuration?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks