• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SG-1500 Generator Set

trowel

My avatar shows the SG-1500 Sommers Genset with the MEP nylon fuel tank mounted to a custom bracket, the fuel tank works to perfection and repaced the rotted out original metal fuel tank that could not be saved.
I know it is not original but works great, the tool box on the top of the control box was relocated to fit the tank, while i was cutting the top off the original metal fuel tank i noted that the size and shape was likened to a ammo box which gave me a idear.

Replace the original fuel tank with a 50 cal ammo box and solder on the original fuel tank top.

Customize the 50 cal lid to be welded on solid and solder on the filler neck and fuel level indicator.

Customize a 60 mm mortar box same as stated above instead of the 50 cal minus the fuel level indicator (or replaced with cork screw type)

Or should i just leave on the MEP Nylon tank.

*Note: after soldering/welding the tank will be sealed and no i did not mess up the shielded plug wires, i bought it like so and slipped on the rubber boots, it will be replaced*

Im open to any and all idears and suggestions.

Attachments

Last edited:

coyote62ny

nice gen set trowel i like the ammo can fuel tank.i have 2 mep015 and 1 mep-025 28 volt the 015s i have will run two 1500 watt heaters at the same time . they are shure more than 1500 watt gen sets. nice bracket as well the one you made looks just like the one on the 015 i have that has a plastic tank. good to see that you are back on s.s. again

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think the poly fuel tank looks right in that spot. If you are looking for something to do, go ahead and modify an ammo can, but I think that would be too much work.

trowel

I may not post all the time but im alway here and there.
I studied the MEP 015A fuel tank bracket and followed it, was going to mount a different tank but Mil-Spec belonged with Mil-Spec so i called SaturnSurplus and ordered new coils, points, fuel tank. More then happy to support them but wishing they had more parts.
Im glad SS is still here, the Hackers made me want to fight for this fourm.
Not so much as something to do regarding the 60 mm metal fuel tank but will be sealing other metal fuel tanks soon so while i have it, have not repaired a fuel tank in a while so im a bit rusty, i figured if i do make the tank it will be in such a way that it could be used as a gas can if not as a fuel tank.
Love thoses little green boxes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks