• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shackle mounts - forged?

jesusgatos

I've cut-up an extra pair of rear shackle mounts, intending to weld them onto the front bumper on my Tacoma so I can flat-tow it behind Mah Deuce using my medium adjustable towbar. Before I burn these in, just want to make sure that they are forged. Yes?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most things that look like cast but are in a high stress application are usually forged. I would bet they are forged.

You can also take a cutting torch to them if you can without ruining them. If you can cut them with a torch, they are forged.

Welding a forging also has it's problems but it can be welded if you know what you are doing.

jesusgatos

Yeah I would have bet money they're forged, but figured it couldn't hurt to double-check. Tacoma only weighs 4000lbs, but I'd also like to be able to use these as recovery points. Would be welding these to 2x2x.120-wall square tubing and 1.5x.120-wall round tubing (part of an extensive rollcage). Have done a lot of welding, but please feel free to give me any helpful tips regarding welding on forged parts...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we are talking about the front spring shackles themselves, YES, they are weldable like mild steel. I've "integrated" them into my dump bed hinges, for example.
MIG weld on clean, well prepared joints is always the best and safest way to go, IMHO.
If in doubt with materials or method, weld a small portion or "bridge" and test to break.

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh OK....
Hmmm.... not so sure about those. I remember trying to weld on one, only once... at least that one reacted more like if it was cast iron! (which I don't think it is...)

G.