• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shake down cruise

Big Tom

Made it to Gettysburg everything ran great the deuce really worked hard on the hill , no hill in Maryland . Any thoughts on turning up fuel for a couple alittle power?IMG_0900.jpg

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trip to Yellowstone is gonna be a long haul in a deuce! Good looking setup. Also like posted, if you turn up the fuel, you will definitely need a pyrometer and will have to keep your eyes on it pulling a trailer.

someoldmoose

:ditto: What gimpy said. They'll take a little more. Just keep EGTs under 1000 as much as possible. Brief ! forays to 1200 are survivable but not recommended. IF ya wanna crank her up ya might wanna consider a "snow" system on the intake. Water and methanol atomized to reduce combustion temps. Made for hi-boost turbo apps, but cooler is cooler. EGTs tell all.

She's gorgeous by the way :drool: Wish I had known ya were coming. ( just woke up and saw this) Ida met ya on Route 30 with my fire engine.

mouse pad.jpg

Last edited:

Big Tom

I was a little surprised on how it took some of the grades,we came across 851 and 216 we were in 2nd on some hills .The trailer is 6000lbs total were at 21750lbs . Gears are a little far apart tend to be stuck in the lower gear because upshift is to far away up we go just a little slow

someoldmoose

Put them flashers on and keep the hammer down. Imagine the song "International Harvester" but in tan n white 'steada IH red.

Slow is smooth, smooth is FAST !

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know that I would say 1200 is a worry area. I've run mine at 1200*(alot) and when I did headgaskets 2 years ago, there was no indication of melty anything.

Also, when driving with a heavy load, the transfer-case is synced hi and low. I've been known to start off in low, run through the gears and then go to high, 4 and then 5. Low range 5th seems better than high 4th for some hills, especially till you get her tuned.

It also might not hurt to put a boost gauge in so you can see that rise with the fuel adjustments.

someoldmoose

Always keep extra blinker fluid on board

Ditto again gimp Meister. Just wanted to give advice that was safe. Especially for a newer Owner - Operator. I too have run 12 to 13 in a rig I worked on and trusted with my life.

Split shiftin is also on MY advanced skills list. Whether in trans or with T case. Again, slow and safe before like Moose is all I am advocating.

Last edited:

Big Tom

Let me ask a question . Drove the deuce 130 miles pullingthe camper (6000lbs) got almost 12 mpg.like said she worked on the hills spent most of the trip with pedal on the floor , asked about turning up fuel but question being how do I know if fuel is set at proper setting now , who knows how many hands have been there before? Just was thinking that because 12mpg seems like a lot for the work it was doing.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Let me ask a question . Drove the deuce 130 miles pullingthe camper (6000lbs) got almost 12 mpg.like said she worked on the hills spent most of the trip with pedal on the floor , asked about turning up fuel but question being how do I know if fuel is set at proper setting now , who knows how many hands have been there before? Just was thinking that because 12mpg seems like a lot for the work it was doing.
As stated, without a pyrometer, don't turn it up. You could even be doing damage right now and not know it without the gauge.

Big Tom

Ok I'll do that are you installing the pyrometer in the pipe at turbo outlet or ? . I know this is not great but have checked turbo after a hard run with ir meter was around 600 deg f that was after stoping and getting out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks