• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shake/Shudder from 25-45 mph

gt1009

My truck just recently started shaking pretty bad from 25-45 mph. I just rotated the tires so I think it may have something to do with an unbalanced wheel. But just to be sure, how can I tell if it is a driveline problem or the wheel.
Thanks,

AJMBLAZER

Put it in neutral while you are in that speed range.

A lot of driveline vibes will go away or calm down if you shift into N. Tires just won't go away.

JohnFire

How bad can an unbalanced tire make your truck shake? I finally got to drive my M1028 and the front shakes like hell and it feels like it is comming from the front left side. Feels like a flat spot in the tire but I can't find anything visually wrong with the tire.

ida34

It can shake quite a bit. I picked up an explorer I bought and could not go past 65 because it was shaking so bad. When I got home I notice dirt built up on the inside of the rim. I cleaned it out and everything is smooth up to 85 mph now but I have not pushed it any farther.

maritimer

check your u-joints and look for a missing wheel weight.
i ran into this problem a while ago started out with minor vibes in the same range. did some searching and found that its either bad u-joints, out of balance tires, and in my case out of phase drive shaft.
so i started with the tire balancing didnt help, then checked the u-joints *rear shaft both ends where pooched beyond recognition, front axle ujoints had no needle bearings left* so replaced all those *had the front tore apart anyway so did the front wheels bearings at the same time.* that left me with just enough vides to make seeing out the door mirrors hard so un bolted the rear driveshaft from the diff pinion and rotated it 180* and viola no vibes left. well except for when the speed needle is touching the right side of the odometer on the highway but thats expected when your RPM is maxed and your needle cant go any further to the right LOL

Bobert

Your tires may be cupped a little. If you back tires are cupped, you won't notice until you rotate them to the front. They could be balanced but still shake no matter what.

Also, a broken belt in the tire will shake really bad. You can usually see a bump in the tread if it is broken though.

Swede

I had the same prob. but it was the little shock looking thing up front ( dont mind my lack of parts knowledge)

Alredneck

Banned
shock lookins thins is steering stabilizer, but may also check tie rods and idler arm, chevys are notorrious for the idler arms goin bad

AJMBLAZER

The steering stabilizer is only there to absorb impacts in the steering system. It shouldn't fix anything. If the stabilizer made the problem go away the all it's really doing is masking the real problem.

Alredneck

Banned
Do those trucks have king pins or ball joints might wanna check while you got it in the air! Yea I know bout the stabilizer deal I was just putting a actual name to it from what ole Swede was sayin Hehe!!! :D But it may help to know if it was the whole truck shakin or just the steering wheel shakin, a lil more specific ya know what I mean? It could also be wheel bearing the list could continue. By the way you didnt forget and leave one hub locked and the other side free did ya cause that could do it.( I did that once ) :lol:

AJMBLAZER

Swede's 1028 has a Dana 60 with kingpins. All the pickup CUCV's have that axle.

The M1009 Blazers have GM Corporate 10 bolt front axles with ball joints.

rod

I also suspect your problem is more related to worn tierod ends or steering parts than anything else. The rotating of the tire probably just made the problem show up worst.

I have seen this quiet oftn in older vehicles such as jeeps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks