• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shaking above 65MPH

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last weekend i did a trip to Tavernier, Fl from fort lauderdale and while the teip was really nice and a success, the ride was only confortable at around 55-60 MPH. Anything above that the truck started shaking and jumping as wheels not balanced. At around 40 MPH was also shaky.
A little background, i am running Goodyear MT OZ tires and whike they are new, 2 of them came with the teuck. I am still running the runflats and i know they are not my best friends in this regards.
I might buy new tires and keep these for my next project, what is the consensus on the tires? Which one is better? Goodyear or BFG? While i do some off road (nothing too crazy) my primary use of the truck is cruising around with the kids and wife.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last weekend i did a trip to Tavernier, Fl from fort lauderdale and while the teip was really nice and a success, the ride was only confortable at around 55-60 MPH. Anything above that the truck started shaking and jumping as wheels not balanced. At around 40 MPH was also shaky.
A little background, i am running Goodyear MT OZ tires and whike they are new, 2 of them came with the teuck. I am still running the runflats and i know they are not my best friends in this regards.
I might buy new tires and keep these for my next project, what is the consensus on the tires? Which one is better? Goodyear or BFG? While i do some off road (nothing too crazy) my primary use of the truck is cruising around with the kids and wife.
I have the oz’s also and they are from 2002. They drove good at any speed. I had a tire fail badly and I took a brand new 2014 oz off my m1165 and now 40 mph I’m bouncing and it smooths out at 50 and I have only gone 55 on it. I was a big fan of the run flats but after seeing what my tire looks like flat I don’t know if it’s in there

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anytime a tire shakes at a particular speed is balancing issue…I have RF’s in every tire I’ve ever used and never have
any issues, if you are running old MT’s, get rid of them…also, OZ means “Ozone”, meaning the tires are treated to prevent
premature degradation due to sun, all military tires have this requirement IIRC.
Military vehicles spend most of there life static.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking mine have flat spots from sitting. I was looking at the mercury filled balancers. I don’t know how much it would help.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Centramatics or Blalancemasters do work. I have had Centramatics on mine for the past couple years and the difference is amazing, especially with how many times I've swapped out the tires on rims or tire/wheel assemblies, and not done any type of balance on them.
What tires do you like best or use? Goodyears or BFG?

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anytime a tire shakes at a particular speed is balancing issue…I have RF’s in every tire I’ve ever used and never have
any issues, if you are running old MT’s, get rid of them…also, OZ means “Ozone”, meaning the tires are treated to prevent
premature degradation due to sun, all military tires have this requirement IIRC.
Military vehicles spend most of there life static.
What tires you like best? BFG or Goodyear?

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, honestly i have not taken the wheels to balance. I really thought that will the runflats would be nonsense. Will try balancing them and check if any difference

williamh

my funvee would shake so bad I was afraid to go over 40. Ditched those run flats and put on some Goodyear mtr’s from csm tires , if it wasn’t an issue of the truck running hot , could Cruz 65-70 with only a little viberation. It would help if I got them balanced , but I only go to the legion or a parade now and again.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What tires do you like best or use? Goodyears or BFG?
currently I'm running Goodyear MT tires because the ones I have look in decent shape, aren't terribly old (less than a decade is good enough for me) and because it's what I have.

The set of goodyear MT/R I got a couple years back developed major sidewall cracks within a year of mounting them so they are sitting in a pile over by the woodshed. As much as I like the tread pattern, too many people have reported having issues with them, even when not that old.

Baja seem to be the tires with the best reviews. Only real downside to them compared to the MT is shorter lifespan, but that's to be expected in exchange for better traction.

MattNC

I have a set of centramatics from when I ran stock goodyears if interested. They were $300 and I'm selling them for $150 plus whatever shipping is at the post office. They had maybe 2000 miles on them and worked well before I decided to go to aftermarket wheels and tires.

Diablo

I have a set of centramatics from when I ran stock goodyears if interested. They were $300 and I'm selling them for $150 plus whatever shipping is at the post office. They had maybe 2000 miles on them and worked well before I decided to go to aftermarket wheels and tires.
Hey Matt,

Do you still have these, and do you know which part number they are?

If they're the right ones, and available, I'll take them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Thumper580

I had bad luck with the military Goodyears and wheels... Tried balancing weights, beads and the mercury filled centramatics. Minor improvement. Drove me crazy. Finally bit the bullet and went with Black Rhino wheels (17") and new tires (Yokohama Geolanders). It wasn't cheap, but the improvement was massive. Food for thought.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had bad luck with the military Goodyears and wheels... Tried balancing weights, beads and the mercury filled centramatics. Minor improvement. Drove me crazy. Finally bit the bullet and went with Black Rhino wheels (17") and new tires (Yokohama Geolanders). It wasn't cheap, but the improvement was massive. Food for thought.
My mt’s from 2002 were new but cracked. They rode perfectly. I had a blowout and put on a tire from my m1165 that were new and 2014 and that one tire will bounce from 40 to 45 and get smooth. I don’t even know how that’s possible

Thumper580

My mt’s from 2002 were new but cracked. They rode perfectly. I had a blowout and put on a tire from my m1165 that were new and 2014 and that one tire will bounce from 40 to 45 and get smooth. I don’t even know how that’s possible
That's what was killing me.... One tire/wheel combo would do it randomly..... I never could get it to act normally.