• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shaking Down an Old Deuce and New Deuce Owner

SteveKuhn

A bit long but by way of introduction and thanks:

On Memorial Day, I didn't know anything about this hobby, but answered an ad selling an M105 while looking for a utility trailer. Found SS via Google looking for how to make it work. Later learned from the site that it WAS too much for my E-350, but that day Joanne and I got to see his Deuce that was hidden behind a stockade fence. She didn't know what it was; I never knew much more than the legends. He was clearly in love with it.

Ended up buying an M101 instead, but couldn't help reading the Deuce ads. Finally called the guy back to see if he could walk me thru finding a truck. Turns out, his circumstances had him thinking about converting it to cash. So . . .

About a month ago, I closed the deal on a '69 AmGen, 27,8xx mi/1100 hrs, and it started some short shake down trips about a week ago after a new master cylinder was installed. First time I ever drove one. Yesterday, Joanne whipped it around until she came to the conclusion it drove a lot like her old TR-3 would have if the TR-3 weighed 13,000 lbs.

Until last evening, I replaced a battery, flasher (thanks to troubleshooting articles here), and added a Solargizer. Air-O-Matic is still sitting sealed up in its carton waiting to see if other repairs will eat up the $ set aside to install it.

But on yesterday's avg 1800 rpm/40 mph trip down Rt 23 and east on I-80 from upstate, it seems to have blown a right zippered steering knuckle boot in spectacular fashion throwing lubricant all OVER the inside of the wheel, but not dripping much. Never would have known without looking.

Actually the boot is a mess but the wheel isn't too badly splattered. I'm told it's an indication that the inner and/or outer seals might have gone, and the rubber doesn't get along with the lubricant. I was gonna make a Flip of it and post it, but I figure everybody probably knows what it looks like.

I plan to order seals and boots for both sides tomorrow, then visit the mechanic with the relevant TM pages until they arrive. Unfortunately, I don't have the facilities to attempt this myself. Fortunately, one guy was a tank mechanic in the Israeli Army and the other did hot rodding to surplus Soviet trucks.

So far, I'm in the bucket about as I expected for a 42 yr old vehicle that's been sitting a couple of years. Other than some surface rust and a couple of small rust throughs, the body is good and the engine runs good, getting better as the old fuel burns off.

After a power washing today, I seem to have found Vietnam-era OD semi-gloss under a the govt 383 and the faded Aervoe applied by the owner (see picture prior to wash.) The semi gloss is so tight on the steel that it seems to have been forged that way. The only thing that loosens it are the small rust spots.

Much as I like the color, I'm not sure I'll be able to stand the way the semi gloss shows surface imperfections. I'm fixing rust and Rust Morting, removing runs and filling scratches, but I'm not going to do a like-new body job.

Having a devil of a time finding unit markings. There's 1 spot at the top of the driver's door that cllearly has '....ANGEL' if the light's just at the correct angle. (the ... representing the rotary grinder marks there and most everywhere else lettering would have been.)

I have a spray bomb of every Gillespie color, and will probably order a few gallons for test on larger areas. Plans are to roll with very fine 2" & 6" foam rollers, doing tight spots and cutting angles with spray.

I've read the threads on using acrylic latex, but I just have reservations on that on a truck. The one's posted look great, but my dad was an old-time painter. I'm trying latex on a tan M101A2 instead w/ a really nice Ben Moore color match.

Arguing in favor of the semi-gloss - it'll look bang-on with the NOS tarp and end curtains waiting to be unfolded.

Plans are to fix it to keep it on the road burning 'way too much diesel between now and cold weather, do whatever mechanic work I can, and get it painted as it deserves, as a well-maintained working truck in the unit.

Would like to take it to Sussex fairgrounds in the spring (just 10 mins from where it'll winter.) If I feel both confident in the machine and daring for the trip, Raush in the fall. If not, there's the E-350 for that one.

I certainly am spending time reading through the various posts to new owners and topics of interest and break/fix on the site. Quite a marvelous resource. Even found a few local people through their posts.

Any comments or thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Steve
From NNJ where I used to be able to see the sun reflect offWTC from my front yard.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. You've obviously done your homework. That's a great looking truck.

:beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Believe it or not, you probably have all the tools needed to fix the front axle, minus one socket. There is a front axle stepxstep thread that you can read to see exactly what you need. Not much on these trucks is complicated, just heavy and dirty. We can help with any questions you may have along the way.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/8460-front-axle-seals-boots-stepxstep.html

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

I went thru the '...StepXStep...' Superb, and I've noticed a couple other pieces similar to it. The straightforward, heavy and dirty part I figured out real quick.

I'd give it a shot given enough time, but if I tried to tear it down where it is in the picture, I'd definitely get an official visit let alone if I had to let it sit overnight. Really no other place to work on it. The driveway is very tight, downhill, and the street in front is REALLY downhill. NJ is fine with you owning cool stuff if you pay all the fees, but from state on down to borough, you're limited on just how much fun you can have with it if they can see you. Town just passed an ordinance banning vehicles over 20' long from renting parking spaces.

As for attention to detail, I can't take credit. It a personal flaw when I get into something and I have no idea what I'm doing. The guy I bought it from is a mechanic who's been in MVs since he was a teen including vending, and we both graduated HS about the time the truck was built. The deal was that he'd sell it to me if I'd restore it and in return he'd prod me in the right direction and be on call for trouble and resources if anything came up. He's really holding up his end.

Between him and SS, I'm really surprised at how quickly I'm getting dialed in. I was more surprised I got it in the driveway in 3 shifts, though.

Now I'm hoping the boots are the fun limit on repairs for a bit.

Steve

Heavysteven

You could get a zipper boot. Make the job real easy and very fast. Unfortunately you really need a level paved surface to work on. That's one of the reasons I moved.

dynodave1

Welcome to the family pal. The OCD will really help with your new projects...

It would be great if you posted a few more photos...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The West Texas Detachment of the SS welcomes the new guy from "my old neighborhood" aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear and prepare to get underway :driver:

You've gotten yourself a very nice truck there. Don't let a little "catch-up maintenance" discourage you.

Like I said, I'm originally from your part of the NYC Suburbs. Born in Jersey City (1957), raised and schooled in Kearny Class of '75), parents "retired" to North Arlington and are now taking dirt-naps in the Holy Cross Cemetery there. I still have my sisters and their households in Bloomfield and Rochelle Park. Looks like we've got you surrounded rofl

That photo of your Deuce-in-the-driveway looks SO MUCH like the old neighborhood that I'm having flashbacks!!! Yes, that is not only a NARROW driveway by most US standards, but it also appears to be a larger lot and home than many in the area. The house I was raised in was a 6-family 3-story (family owned it) apartment building on a 50' wide x 100' deep lot and NO off-street parking!!! We did ALL of our wrenching in the street. The house stands EXACTLY 8 miles to-the-foot from the WTC site.

As for the mechanical thoughts in this thread... others have already addressed that pretty well.

For the sake of safety - please DO find a level area to do your wrenching.

I know of a small trucking operation down in Kearny/Harrison with a flat yard and - last time I was there - enough space to let you get-r-done. If you need it, I could make some phone calls on your behalf (Old schoolmate's a HEAVY trucker there - They were involved with moving the Hudson River Airplane to a warehouse in Harrison for the NTSB's investigation.)

God bless and good luck on your MV project and addiction [thumbzup]

SteveKuhn

ColdWarrior, you're clearly an area native as is Joanne from Elizabeth. I'm a transplant from western PA by way of Queens. I'm through Rochelle Park every couple of days. If you're up to visit, get in touch and we'll catch a bite at The Crow's Nest on Rt 17. Perhaps you know it. I'm sure your sister does. Can't think of anything bad on the menu. BTW that lot is only 40 x 100' and the house is about 1000 sq ft.

Not discouraged by the fixes required at all. Some stuff is just gonna let go or pop up, hence 'Shaking Down . . .' Thanks for the offer to reach out for workspace on my behalf, but I'm going to let Abe and Alex take the lead and just provide extra labor and assist this time out. It would exceed the limits of legitimate puffery if I called myself a backyard mechanic. Near the end of the StepXStep was a question about the wisdom of letting the truck sit on jack stands for a month 'cause of limited time to do the work. Um afeerd that might be me if I tried it this time. Besides, I'm eager get it back on the road and drive it.

Parts (both sides plus spares - with zipper boots) are expected today or tomorrow from Clark Trucks. I was cautioned to do the seals as well as the boots because if I had a leak as expected, I'd just go through the new boot sooner rather than later. I limit the amount of fun I allow myself.

Other photos I have don't show much more than the one above - just different angles for the insurance. I plan to post more as things progress. Paint layers offer lots of interesting possibilities.

I do have a short clip of the truck making its sales presentation:

Bark, Whistle, Snort

:beer:

Steve

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

All the parts arrived today, so the repair is about to get underway. A quick sanity check:

Heavysteven suggested just the zipper boot change, while I've been aimed at doing the seals at the same time because of a few drops of lube coming from the exposed cotter pin. Is the consensus that I'm going for overkill or just doing diligent maintenance? I can do just the boot and hold on to the seals.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Heavysteven

Having gone down this road twice I will say this.

First time I had the boot leaking I pulled the hub, replaced all the seals, packed the bearings, and installed a solid boot. it was not hard just tool labor and time.

Second, time my boot ripped I just replaced it with a zippered.

The benefit to removing the hub is that you can inspect everything.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks