• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sharing my hmmwv restore/ repurpose for civilian use

racing4funn

I like it.

What did you have to do to get the seats to fit?
How much were they?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Super simple. Had to buy the seat's slider for the driver and added the bars in black. And before i get criticized for the passenger seat mount the seat does not hold you in but rather the seatbelt. I thought about adding bolts to hold down the cover in addition to the clams fasteners. Seat price were around $200 each. I need a second front passenger seat batter cover if anyone has one they would sell.
UOTE]1492213219321.jpg1492213360773.jpg1492213426221.jpg1492213518502.jpg1492213583983.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

ryanruck

Stainless steel fasteners and aluminum?
I was going to say something about that but then thought maybe he meant bumper hardware and the like.

After seeing the interior pics though, racing4funn, you might want to reconsider any of the stainless hardware you've got installed in the aluminum body because of galvanic corrosion that will occur with them.

Aluminum and stainless steel do not play well together: https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Corrosion.pdf

Zinc coated and galvanized steel fasteners may not look as nice as stainless but, you won't be dealing with corrosion issues down the road as badly as you would with stainless.

racing4funn

How's it look under the hood?
Thanks
DanJ
Not good. I can just say its all there and it works. I am working on building my own bracket for a second alternater and it will be a 12v system thats isolated from the 24v. Just something to power electrics. Im going to use two 12v batteries and setting them up in a way that can be reworked to serve as a jump 24v for the main battery set. of course isolating the 12v circuit if such a jump is needed.

I also have a plan for the belt slap jumping up and down that the two belts do across the top. That drives me crazy. And someday i might get around to adding a turbo. Everyone is missing the boat on how easy it could be. Notice how much room there is at the muffler? lol

racing4funn

It looks lIke the tires bowed out at bottom. Illusion maybe

They are. I pulled all the spacing plates from the upper A arms and the front might need one or more back. I still have an alinement to do. Its not finished. I still havent put seatbelts in. The old ones looked bad and i need to buy new. Also have the two rear seats to install. Be ause of my boys being small im going to use the rear door panels that are used when its a truck to build usable half door for them. Id rather just run it all summer with no doors but id feel better if they had something and i might need a lock on it too.

Last edited:

Carrera911

Not good. I can just say its all there and it works. I am working on building my own bracket for a second alternater and it will be a 12v system thats isolated from the 24v. Just something to power electrics. Im going to use two 12v batteries and setting them up in a way that can be reworked to serve as a jump 24v for the main battery set. of course isolating the 12v circuit if such a jump is needed.

I also have a plan for the belt slap jumping up and down that the two belts do across the top. That drives me crazy. And someday i might get around to adding a turbo. Everyone is missing the boat on how easy it could be. Notice how much room there is at the muffler? lol
Rear mount turbo setup? Doubt many on here would have heard of this but it could work for sure. Biggest downside is running a 3 inch pipe back up to the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks