• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She didn't start this morning

M1008driver

My M1008 let me down. I let her sit in the cold several days and went out to start this morning and only got a clunk. I tried twice and stopped so I didn't drain the batteries. I left her sitting in the driveway.

When I got home from work I cycled the gp's two times and she fired right up. Maybe batteries? I do have a solargizer hooked up.

She did run fine after that. I will try again in the morning. I might have to start her daily in the winter.

I felt bad for not calling in late and getting her going...

idM1028

What's the temp been up there? Coldest it's been here so far, is something like 0 degrees even. Old girl has cranked every time. Then again it is my daily driver, so I usually don't leave it sitting for a couple days at a time. I've found that cycling the glow plugs twice can help if it's REALLY cold. If you're worried about it, first thing I would check is the glow plugs. Hook up a test light to the positive post on the front battery. Touch the tip to the connectors on the plugs. If it lights up, that plug is good. How about your glow plug relay? Mine will make a nice loud clunking noise while the "WAIT" light is on. I can also see my lights get brighter and dimmer when it does this. About the same story with the voltmeter. Green, yellow, green, yellow. It'll cycle another 4 times once the truck is started (afterglow) unless it's already kinda warm (then usually just once) A lotta people don't know it, but there's also a small fuel heater in the fuel filter base. It's at the top and has two wires running to it. IIRC you can test it by pulling it out and spraying compressed air from a can or some other cold gas on it. There's also a temp sensor and the controller card to worry about. If you're worried about the batteries, break out the voltmeter and test them. Most auto parts stores will also charge and test them for free. Using a block heater or running anti-gel stuff (I.E. Diesel 911) might help as well, although I have yet to use either this year.

M1008driver

I've done most of what you mentioned. I also use diesel Treat each fillup so I won't gel. 60g's are from July, new relay, controller card, gp resistor bypass, starter, flywheel, spin on fuel filter, Optima batteries, and much more.

If it continues I will get out the multimeter and start troubleshooting. It was just sad as the truck has been a winner so far. She did run fine after I got home from work.

EDIT- Yes on the doghead mod too.

idM1028

Just out of curiosity, what's the temp been like up there? I know the spin-on filter mod is popular and I know why guys do it, but it is not something I would recommend to folks living in colder climates (myself included) unless the stock base assembly is absolutely FUBAR. Like I said, most folks don't know it, but there is a small fuel heater in there. Exactly how much it helps, I couldn't tell you, but if nothing else it gives me peace of mind. I've also noticed that the truck seems to be harder to start when it's covered in snow, particularly the hood. A lot of folks will say "yeah duh, it's cold" but the truck seems easier to start when there isn't snow and the temp is cold enough (think like 0 degrees) than when it's warmer and there's snow on it. IIRC you can also play with one of the idle speeds to help the truck start easier, however this comes with degraded power steering performance at idle. How about your solenoid? Does the truck kick into fast idle once you get it started?

mistaken1

My M1008 let me down. I let her sit in the cold several days and went out to start this morning and only got a clunk. .
So what you are saying is that the ignition key switch was put in the run position, the glow plugs did their thing and then the wait light went out? Then when you turned the ignition key switch to the start position you heard a "clunk" and the starter motor did not turn the motor over, not even a quarter revolution, just a clunk?

DonK

So what you are saying is that the ignition key switch was put in the run position, the glow plugs did their thing and then the wait light went out? Then when you turned the ignition key switch to the start position you heard a "clunk" and the starter motor did not turn the motor over, not even a quarter revolution, just a clunk?
:ditto:

M1008driver

Exactly!

Just out of curiosity, what's the temp been like up there? I know the spin-on filter mod is popular and I know why guys do it, but it is not something I would recommend to folks living in colder climates (myself included) unless the stock base assembly is absolutely FUBAR.
22 degrees that morning. I kept the old parts just in case. It seemed more like weak batteries than fuel to me which sucks as I have the more expensive Optima. I hope it is just a fluke of having a 26 year old vehicle.

EDIT-
Why are vehicles referred as she, when there's a problem, and he, when all is well?
It started in the garden with Eve.

Last edited:

Wyofj40

If it goes clunk and the starter does not crank the engine then you have an issue between your starter and solenoid. My guess is the solenoid coil engages which is the clunk you here. So either the contacts are bad in the solenoid not allowing current to flow to your starter all the time or your starter motor is going out. The cheapest thing to do is make sure your wire from the solenoid to the starter is still good and also tight. Then replace the solenoid. If it still gives you problems pull your starter apart and clean the windings and commutator with electric motor cleaner. Make sure to clean out the slots between the comm bars. Then ohm out the comm to make sure there are not any shorts between bars.

O.D. Fever

If it goes clunk and the starter does not crank the engine then you have an issue between your starter and solenoid. My guess is the solenoid coil engages which is the clunk you here. So either the contacts are bad in the solenoid not allowing current to flow to your starter all the time or your starter motor is going out. The cheapest thing to do is make sure your wire from the solenoid to the starter is still good and also tight. Then replace the solenoid. If it still gives you problems pull your starter apart and clean the windings and commutator with electric motor cleaner. Make sure to clean out the slots between the comm bars. Then ohm out the comm to make sure there are not any shorts between bars.
So you must had spent time in a motor shop too? I did two years as motor shop Machinist and Automations Toolmaker, now I alway fix my own starters and alt. Joe

Wyofj40

So you must had spent time in a motor shop too? I did two years as motor shop Machinist and Automations Toolmaker, now I alway fix my own starters and alt. Joe
In a way, I worked in a motor/machine/weld shop for a few years as a welder. They mainly rebuilt motors for haul trucks and power plants. However I am an industrial electrician now. I also have a number of old vehicles and equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks