• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She ran away

m139h2otruck

When I was a kid, watched a flatbed driver dump the clutch on a Detroit in a Ford with a D9 on the trailer, causing the engine to cough and start to run backwards. Smoke was coming out of the air cleaner and the driver was wild trying to shut it down using the normal and the emergency shutdowns. Nothing worked!! Our old mechanic just stood there not getting excited and said "stall it with the clutch" about 4 or 5 times before the driver understood what was going on. The engine was only going about 1,000 rpm, so the driver finally put it in high gear and stalled it. Then he didn't know what to do, and was afraid to restart it again. The old mechanic got in and the Detroit fired right back up and off we went. Real tough engines the old 2 cycle Detroits! Just leak alot and no low end power.

madsam

When I was a kid, watched a flatbed driver dump the clutch on a Detroit in a Ford with a D9 on the trailer, causing the engine to cough and start to run backwards. Smoke was coming out of the air cleaner and the driver was wild trying to shut it down using the normal and the emergency shutdowns. Nothing worked!! Our old mechanic just stood there not getting excited and said "stall it with the clutch" about 4 or 5 times before the driver understood what was going on. The engine was only going about 1,000 rpm, so the driver finally put it in high gear and stalled it. Then he didn't know what to do, and was afraid to restart it again. The old mechanic got in and the Detroit fired right back up and off we went. Real tough engines the old 2 cycle Detroits! Just leak alot and no low end power.

That had to have messed up the air filter.

m139h2otruck

No idea, truck was hired. Driver never even looked at the filter element. This was in 1973, so maybe no element in the can?!

FreightTrain

Banned
The detroit does have outstanding power if you can keep it around 1800RPM.A lil 6V53 has 220 horse give or take but 770 Ft/Lbs of torque at 1800.most Detroits are rated at 1800Lbs.The sweet spot.What you gotta remember about detroits is that at 1800 RPM it sounds like 3600RPM since you get twice the exhaust impulse in a 2 stroke.Every time the piston moves down you get an exhaust impulse.

datsunaholic

We had the 6-71s and a 6V53 on boats when I was on the ship in the Navy. Those flapper door emergency shutdowns were a pain, especially on the 6V53 because engine vibration would trip it at inopportune moments.

We had a set of runaway procedures that included a CO2 fire extinguisher. All USN boats carried at least one 20-lb CO2 extinguisher, so it was on-hand.

It worked better for the 4-stroke engines since the DDs had the flapper, but the Westerbeke (Perkins) and Cummins diesels you could knock the air filter off, point the extinguisher nozzle into the intake and drain the extinguisher. CO2 won't burn, and it'll stop the engine.

We still had that procedure on the books when I was in the reserves in '99-03, and it was part of the qual procedure to know where the intake was to do that. Stuffing rags or holding a lifejacket against the intake was also on the procedure list. Fortunately I never had one happen.

I'm not sure I'd want to try that with a dry-chem extinguisher like what I have on my Deuce, but I bet it'd work in a pinch.

Alex400

Got to love those two stroke diesels. They don't call them screamin' jimmys for nothing! :driver:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1YXx4kytNU[/media]

Crash_AF

I'm not sure I'd want to try that with a dry-chem extinguisher like what I have on my Deuce, but I bet it'd work in a pinch.
Only if you were going to throw the engine away after you did it... all that powder will JACK the internals up something fierce... that and the chemicals are corrosive so if you don't get it cleaned out right away, you're looking at more serious problems.

Later,
Joe

Alex400

Only if you were going to throw the engine away after you did it... all that powder will JACK the internals up something fierce... that and the chemicals are corrosive so if you don't get it cleaned out right away, you're looking at more serious problems.

Later,
Joe
Yeah seriously. I would carry a CO2 extinguisher for that purpose as well as the block of wood.

I wonder if it would be possible to install an electric solenoid valve on the intake pipe to cut the air flow from the cab.

Something like this maybe?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Race+Ready/757985/10002/-1

You guys say this happens in really frigid weather sometimes and you have to jump out and cap it off quick, I wonder if this would be a possible safety, kind of like the detroit's intake flapper.

Alex400

Ok, I guess what i would like to know is, would this work? Is it even a possible solution for not having to jump out of the truck and knock off the air cleaner, and slam a piece of wood over the intake? It seems like this happens in these colder temps more often and i would think something that would be quick like a emergency switch on the dash to cut the airflow would be helpful.

Alex400

I have been toying with the idea of using one of these motorized aircraft fuel valves. They are good to 50 psi and close in less than three seconds. Diameter is perfect for the multifuel engine exhaust....
That is the idea of an exhaust brake. Have the valve in the exhaust. I was thinking of having the valve on the intake tube so that in a runaway situation you could hit the switch and the valve would shut cutting off all air flow to the engine. Basically doing the same thing as putting a piece of wood over the intake. That was my theory.

EDIT: I see you meant intake Bjorn. yeah same idea

Last edited:

boomer

Hi Wreckerman,
I just caught your post. I hope things are better, and you got it in time. It's never happened to me- but...if it did, and did the same thing you did, aside from the oil situation, would there be any problems in starting it up again?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks