• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She saved my life

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen a mastercyl cap (metal with wire clip) come off from an impact.

When was the last time you opened the hood?

And, how fast were you going?

GM-M1008

the way I am looking at it is this way , if I had my haft ton It would have been much worse or if I had a new vehicle for how hard I hit. You realize How thick these frames are compared to a civi chevy pick up and I bent mine in multiple spots, yes it had a mechanical problem but like I said because it was well built and because of that I am still here. When I see some one walk a way from a wreck of a new one ton pick up loaded that hit a tree then maybe Ill change my thoughts but untill then she saved me. I would also Like to say I had a couple friend stop to check on me today and they all said thankfully you had that truck and not a new one.

GM-M1008

I was going 30-35 , and I just had it open because I had to jump the truck and I also checked my oils and fluids like I normally do when it gets close to oil changein time because she like to burn oil around 3000 miles

But I see you guys are not getting what I am saying why I feel this way. I never had a problem Like this I drove the truck daily till the snow flu last weekend and didn't drive it till the salt was off the road. I have a 11850 miles on the truck since February when she was put on the road and never had a problem with there steering / braking and it worked fine at the turn at the bottom of the hill.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no interest in debating vehicle safety but, I think you would be surprised with the safety statistics of newer trucks.

I am glad to hear you're alright and your pictures are definitely interesting to see.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the fact that it was in an older heavy built simple military rig definitely saved you from more serious harm.

But the fact that it was an older heavy built simple military rig helped put you in harms way!

I see it as the truck broke even. It helped cause it, but it then saved you the full brunt of it.

Again, I'm very glad you're ok> I hope this serves as a reminder to us all to be careful and to do a pretrip.

Cucvnut

First and Foremost Glad you're ok ! Now For My2cents

This This is probably why it was sold for surplus.

Did the inspection mechanic, inspect it, or was it a lick and stick ?

This kind of issue can be prevented with some PMCS, thes kind of accidents infuriate me, that could have been my wife or kid in the other lane, this should be a hard lesson to the newbs or non mechanic type person out there , these are 20 plus year old trucks, and need constant attention, maintenence and care, they are not to be overlooked because they are heavy duty.

Again Very glad you're ok, and only a tree took it head on this time.:rant:
why are you basically repeating the same thing ferro said ?

gunit

your lucky nothing came threw the back window to give you a buzz cut. by the looks of the pics you came out good. glad your ok. pretrips are good, murphys law can supercede all.

saddamsnightmare

November 6th, 2011.

I'm glad you made it, but once again permit me to reiterate four little letters that might have saved your truck as well as yourself....P.M.I.S. or Pre-Operation inspection if you will. It doesn't matter if the truck is a week old or fifty years old, assuming that everything is in order when you turn on the key can be a prescription for trouble. I had a 1974 Ford Bronco that was less then one day old, and if I had not checked it on the morning before starting, I would not have noticed a pinched oil filter gasket had cause all the oil to run out of the pan.....
It may be built like a Chevy, but even they had problems now and then..... You should have been able to override the steering if it was only a hydraulic failure, but missing the master cylinder cap... I don't think you could have overcome that.. Next time, INSPECT!fat lady sings

SPCWarning

Maybe?

GM M1008,
As everyone else here, I'm glad you weren't hurt too badly in this crash. Some things have me puzzled though:
1: You were hauling scrap iron, going up a hill. How steep a hill, and were you loaded heavily behind the rear axle?
2: You said you had no front brakes nor steering; was the steering wheel locked up, or it just didn't turn the wheels?
3: You still had rear brakes. Could it be they were the only tires touching the ground enough to stop the truck?

If this is so, then it wasn't a lack of PMCS, it was a mistake in loading too much weight behind the rear axle. I agree that pre-trip inspections are VERY important and should never be skipped. Just not clear on the actual events of your accident. I'm not trying to stir anything up, and I realize what's done is done. Just wondering what might have caused it.
Thanks,
Jimmy

unaffiliated

I wasn't going to comment but I felt like I should clarify a couple things. First of all, I am glad you are OK. In my opinion, the truck did not save your life, God did. As far as I know, the frame on these trucks is the same as civilian models. It is the springs and other drive train components that make them heavier duty. Also, the front portion of the master cylinder controls the rear brakes, so if it was empty you would not have rear brakes. If the lid came off in the crash, the fluid would have splashed out, that may explain why it was empty. That looks like a lot more damage than 30-35 mph could cause in my opinion. Just my 2 cents. Again, I am glad you are OK.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As far as MILITARY build, I truly believe that I would be DEAD, if when I blew a right steer tire and WRECKED the 819 at 60 mph, if it had been a CIVI build

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prayers up for your quick and complete recovery.

May your CUCV R.I.P.

I can see you now have more scrap to deal with than you had when you started your recycling mission. Maybe a few parts will be salvagable.

I can just imagine a GL ad for that fine MV: "Ran when last driven"... You're giving the GL Forklift Drivers a little competition in the damage arena.

Best regards,
John

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, seems everyone's jumping on GM-1008

he did say his truck had sat a week and he DID the usual underhood preinspection (lot more than folks who drive civi ever do)

his belt let loose

empty brake cylinder? MAYBE, but as was said, NO WAY it was empty and the rear brakes work AT ALL - so there is some question there.

losing both steering and brakes - yeah, he threw a belt - WHAT, NONE OF YOU HAVE EVER THROWN A BELT? Even a well maintained or even NEW belt? I have. I'm meticulous on my trucks...

STUFF HAPPENS

he survived BECAUSE he was driving a MV, not the other way around - and guess what? My OTHER truck is a 1991 GMC Suburban (same body style as CUCV's) and it's pretty much the only body style I've owned for the past twenty years.

this particular design is one of GM's best and this wreck is but one example

glad you are OK

you folks need to really light up a little bit, he didn't have to come here and say anything and I truly do NOT think he deserved all the rough handling

but that's just my .02

I've spent my time on the side of the road cursing a brand new belt that flipped and then threw itself off my truck - so come on, give the guy a break

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's easy for everyone that reads this, to interpret it in their own way.

The way I read all the posts is, everyone is happy he is ok and everyone wants to learn why it happened and how to avoid it.

I don't see anyone "rough handling" him. (perhaps it's your mindset).

I also think it's safe to say, we all appreciate him posting this, for whatever we/he get out of it.(we all make mistakes, just look at my current avatar).

Last edited: