• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She won't start

Lax

I have a M35a2 that has been in the barn for a while. It started last winter but when I tried to start it today she would not start. The batteries are charged and she turns over fine. When I fist hit the starter it pops over then dies and keeps cranking and cranking. I hit it with some ether and it fires until the ether is used then just goes back to cranking. There is a petcock on top of the fuel filters I opened to see if it was getting fuel and when cranking the fuel comes out of the petcock. What am I missing? Thanks.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because the fuel is coming from the petcock doesn't mean you're getting fuel to the engine. That just means your pump is working.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Easiest thing at this point is change your fuel filters and see if that makes a difference. Odds are you may have had some junk make its way from the fuel tank to the filters and they're clogged.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and if the last post came across an ---holey, I didn't mean it to.... good luck and please let us know what you find.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a petcock on top of the fuel filters I opened to see if it was getting fuel and when cranking the fuel comes out of the petcock.
Only when cranking?? Is your in-tank pump running when you turn the main switch on?
The in-tank pump should run whenever the switch is on and you should have good flow from the bleeders.

Lax

[B]kendelrio[/B], Not at all. Thank you and no problem at all.
So just because I am getting fuel to the petcock means I am getting fuel to the filters but not necessarily PAST the filters? Do I understand that correctly? Thank you.

Lax

M37M35, It has been years since I have done this before. Should I open the bleeders when I turn the power on and before I crank to see if I am pumping fuel? I would think I can hear the tank pump when I power up by standing next to the tank. Thoughts? Thanks.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, after prolonged sitting with the fuel shutoff pulled, the shutoff in the injection pump can stick.
Verified by opening the square cover on the IP. Shutoff lever should point to 7 o clock position when released. If not, spray the heck out of it with wd40, move back and forth until free and willingly staying open.
Replace cover, activate accessory switch, count to ten, cross fingers, hit start button.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a M35a2 that has been in the barn for a while. It started last winter but when I tried to start it today she would not start. The batteries are charged and she turns over fine. When I fist hit the starter it pops over then dies and keeps cranking and cranking. I hit it with some ether and it fires until the ether is used then just goes back to cranking. There is a petcock on top of the fuel filters I opened to see if it was getting fuel and when cranking the fuel comes out of the petcock. What am I missing? Thanks.
Might be worth looking down into the fuel tank with a bright flashlight. You could have stuff growing in your tank too. The guys in the posts above definitely offered up a good starting point! Pictures are a BIG plus!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[B]kendelrio[/B], Not at all. Thank you and no problem at all.
So just because I am getting fuel to the petcock means I am getting fuel to the filters but not necessarily PAST the filters? Do I understand that correctly? Thank you.
Correct. The fuel comes in, passes through the filter to the pickup INSIDE the filter. Opening the petcock shows pressure on the OUTSIDE of the filter.

Lax

It has been so long since I have done this. Once I replace the filters do I have to prime the system with the little "flippers"? lol. Its been a while. I do remember the flippers being there but not exactly sure where they are (top or bottom). Thank you.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you don't like the engine and want to do major repairs, engine replacement, then just use either on Her.
no either!

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been so long since I have done this. Once I replace the filters do I have to prime the system with the little "flippers"? lol. Its been a while. I do remember the flippers being there but not exactly sure where they are (top or bottom). Thank you.
Bottom petcocks are for water draining. The system air bleed screw is the one between the secondary and final fuel filter up on the block by firewall. Yes we do it after filter change.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what you mean by 'flippers' (pictures?). But to prime it just turn the switch on and let the pump run for a few minutes (assuming it's working), and open the petcock on top of the filters and make sure fuel comes out.

Lax

Update.

First the "flipper" I was referring to is actually on my John Deere tractor... Not on my deuce. Sorry.

Today I changed the primary and secondary filters and cleaned the canisters. They were pretty bad! A little embarrassed.

I cranked and cranked. Nothing. Then I opened the petcock between secondaries and flowed fuel and air until what looked like a solid stream of good fuel flowed out. About 10 seconds worth. crank, crank, crank. Not even a fart. So now what??? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
In post #9 in here it did in fact describe a common problem.........
Let us know what you did about that.
These girls Do Not Like sittin around for a long time......... GI

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks