• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheared Ground bolt off starter while installing ground harness

joeberg

Apparently I used too much force trying to take the nut off the starter and it sheared the bolt off. Does anyone know if I can just use another mount point on the starter or is that one special for any reason? I could try welding another stem to that mount point if necessary but was hoping to avoid it if I could. Any thoughts?

joeberg

Yeah, I had that part right. :cool: It was about halfway off before it snapped off. This thing came from S. Ga near the coast and has more corrosion than I would like which assisted in the stuck bolt. I thought I could muscle it off and didn't think it was near enough force to shear. From the looks of it I think I can use a mount bolt to ground it but I haven't found any info to confirm that yet.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I had that part right. :cool: It was about halfway off before it snapped off. This thing came from S. Ga near the coast and has more corrosion than I would like which assisted in the stuck bolt. I thought I could muscle it off and didn't think it was near enough force to shear. From the looks of it I think I can use a mount bolt to ground it but I haven't found any info to confirm that yet.
When they start to get tight go back the other way and put some penetrating oil on it and keep working it back and forth, don't force them.

dilvoy

That ground stud and nut are supposed to be made of Copper so they are weaker than hardened steel hardware. Lots of lubricant and loosening a turn then tightening back half a turn repeatedly with lots of flushing with lubricant might have saved you.

joeberg

I have see them with the positive terminal copper, but that isn't the case on at least this ground stud. I can look at both ends where it sheared off and it is definitely not copper. I will upload pics shortly.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
righty tighty, lefty loosey
When they start to get tight go back the other way and put some penetrating oil on it and keep working it back and forth, don't force them.
That ground stud and nut are supposed to be made of Copper so they are weaker than hardened steel hardware. Lots of lubricant and loosening a turn then tightening back half a turn repeatedly with lots of flushing with lubricant might have saved you.
Doesn't really help with the problem at hand, I'd try it with a different ground point and if that doesn't work, I guess its time to take it to a starter shop.

Action

it wasn't a bolt holding the ground cables to the starter. It was a stud with a nut holding the cables on.
You could have ran the new ground wire through the grommet and to the shunt in the battery compartment.

Can that stud be replaced?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't really help with the problem at hand, I'd try it with a different ground point and if that doesn't work, I guess its time to take it to a starter shop.
Your right about not helping the problem at hand , but it might keep someone from having the same problem in the future.

joeberg

Here is what I am dealing with. I am considering welding a nut or rod-extender to that post and cutting a new bolt stem to thread into it to extend it. That may turn out to be the easiest solution. It's amazing how the simplest jobs turn into these adventures.

2face910fd9471e6bfaab2527fe94710.jpg

b700c77a96617137035353617c1d8816.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Here is what I am dealing with. I am considering welding a nut or rod-extender to that post and cutting a new bolt stem to thread into it to extend it. That may turn out to be the easiest solution. It's amazing how the simplest jobs turn into these adventures.

Sounds like some presidential engineering to me. I'd pull it and take it to a shop to replace said bolt. Maybe clean up the armature and throw some new brushes in too.

joeberg

I agree I should have backed it off and used lube in this case. I was partly in a hurry and it was almost off without too much trouble and snapped without what I thought was a large amount of force so I suspect it was already weak. You can see the corrosion on the stud in the pic so it was probably already weakened. I definitely will be more careful in the future.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 639810

View attachment 639811
As rusted up as that is I would pull the starter and replace the stud , if your not comfortable doing it yourself take it to a shop.

joeberg

I agree replacing the stud is the best option in the long run. I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult. Sometimes I get caught up looking for the quick fix. Thanks for the suggestions.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The labor to fix the stud if fixable and then to freshin up the starter would probably be more than a surplus new starter.
As rusty as it looks....the rest of it may be pretty corroded.
Starter has another mounting stud which goes in a bracket at the motor mount......they get loose in bracket, and then one or both main
mount bolts break off......fix it all when starter is removed.
There are two types of starter / motor mount brackets....the weak early one, and the late beefed up one.
I have a new starter and late style brackets available if needed.

joeberg

That's what I ended up doing to get by until later this week when I can drop the starter. Works well. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk