• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter to Camper Conversion....

tm america

Very nice work as always..Super singles would save a good amount of weight ..Say going from dual 9.00s to single 11.00s.. And if you still need to lighten it up from there you could use some lightweight materials an remake the bed?tool box?and fuel tank?Or you could just remove the bed and make a few spacer-mounts for the box out of aluminium .something just tall enough to give you wheel clearance but it would save you over 1000lbs

RAYZER

Just went back through this thread and I'd like to say, great ideas and execution! Congratulations on the compleation of cave No.9!
I know you must be dieing to take it to a rally and have some fun!

59apache

Chipmaker
thanks @ all!
the problem is not only the weight.....the problem is that all major changes on a vehicle must be checked by the TUEV and fixed? in the documents....
the 2nd problem is to keep the historical status of the vehicle....if the changes are not historical correct (material, appearance) you loose the status.
In Germany we have environmental zones...Diesels need a DPF, Gas a cat. more ore less it means that you need a vehicle that is max 10 years old.
only exemption (at this time) are historical vehicles.

the shelter is now just freight.

for the toilet and grey water...
grey water a simple tank with wheels http://www.towsure.com/product/Fiamma_Roll_Tank_Grey_Waste_Water, connected with a hose to the shelter. Toilet is a porta potties. its in the shower, fixed with a ratched strap.

Last edited:

kawkev

Once again I'd like to say Nice Job!!! I've admired your project and workmanship from the start. I'm trying to acquire an S280 shelter and do the same thing. Do you have any pics or drawings for the lifting device you made to install and remove the shelter? I'd like to see more on that if possible. Congratulations on the completion. I'm truly inspired by your work!!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed - I will need to research this thread again when time permits, for my future s-280 shelter project! Won't be as nice as yours, but I hope to incorporate some of the ideas in mine.

daddy2

Nice job 59. Atleast one of our builds is nearing completion. I still have tons of work. I Can't say enouph about your attention to detail. If my wife seen your build she may leave me :idea:. I have to go and get her now to look over your build.:beer: Leave me Leave me.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gentlemen. i want to show you my conversion....inspired by many M109 build ups on this side, i decided to make my own.
Hey Juergen, what computer program did you use in the 1st post to create a 3d model of your build design? I am trying to model my shelter build and, other than chicken scratch drawings by hand on beer napkins, I don't have anything that can display what I want to show like you have.

Hey Juergen, what computer program did you use in the 1st post to create a 3d model of your build design? I am trying to model my shelter build and, other than chicken scratch drawings by hand on beer napkins, I don't have anything that can display what I want to show like you have.
I would recommend google sketch-up if you don't already own or have access to a CAD program. It's easier to learn in a short period of time and way cheaper (free).

59apache

Chipmaker
I've used Solidworks. It takes a lot of time to plan it, but it's worth it. After all, there are only a few things that i want to do in an other way. The splitting of the AC fuse box was a mistake. Maybe i change it. The layout is ok. No narrow or claustrophobic feeling.

tedennis

Great Thread. Lots of unique ideas. Any updates? Have you figured out the solution to the registration? Thanks for all the pics.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally had the opportunity to visit 59apache's AO and check out this great build, in person: excellent design and workmanship, really; better than what the pics are showing.
My compliments, Jürgen!!!

Please don't forget to post pics of the jack mechanism you built, which enable this shelter to be lifted off of the truck, 1-person, almost with no effort.

Thanks again, you and your family, for the great hospitality shown! Time was way to short to see all.

G.

PureMayhem

Incredible Job!!! I have to say that it is entirely unfair that you have or have access to all those tools and more importantly, have the skills and ability to use them and I do not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks