• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter weight?

A3superdeuce

shelter weight

Published weight for shelter is 765 pounds I'd say my stipped out one weighs a little less. I picked one up for my m1008 a few weeks back.

ONTOS66

According to "the book," : TM 10-5411-205-13

1-10. Equipment Data.
Height 70.125 in (178.11 cm)
W i d t h 79.0625 in (200.82 cm)
Length 86.625 in (220.03 cm)
Gross weight Shield 770 lb (349 kg) empty
Unshielded 782 lb (355 kg) fully loaded
Cubage Empty 1.8 psi
Load on skids Fully loaded 6.2 psi

One might ask why an unshielded shelter would weigh 12 lbs more than a shielded one - typo? And in either case, the weight would not include any communications equipment or other accessories.

Ball park 800 lbs.

Das Uber Soldat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ONTOS66,
It says the shielded version weighs 770 lbs. empty, while the unshielded version is weighed fully loaded. Doesn't make much sense to me why they would wiegh it that way, but whatever...

ONTOS66

I think it is obvious that the contractor that wrote the TM from which I quoted made a mistake when listing the weight of the shelter.

The web brochure from Wenzlau Engineering for the S-250 shows the following weight:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Weight:
With EMI kit 762 lbs. min. - 802 lbs. max
Without EMI kit 750 lbs. min. - 790 lbs. max

S-250 - Rugged, Truck Mounted Military Shelter

The TM compares "empty" vs "fully loaded" with a 12 lb difference .. which is obviously bs to anyone who has ever touched, let alone lifted, any military communications equipment.

The entire statement that I copied from the TM regarding weights was incorrect, misstated, backwards, and generally FUBAR. Which is why I showed it as is and then stated IMHO that 800 lbs was a fair estimate for an EMPTY shelter. The radios, racks, etc. add hundreds of lbs.

[/FONT]

rlwm211

I will add if the integrity of the roof is in question, there can be a lot of water inside the foam between the aluminum skins. That will add considerably to the overall weight. I obtained an S280 with some roof leaks and am still drying it out. I checked and fixed the roof immediately after it got home and have been watching the water weep out of the various mount holes for the past 4 months.
Just my two cents...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks