• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shift lever "neutral return" spring tension in only one direction

pitpawten

After reading up about sloppy shift levers I went and tightened the nut on the shaft to better grip on the stub shaft, that definitely helped the play (pretty much solved it).

However what I'm now noticing (couldn't even tell before with all the play) is that the spring to return the shifter to the central neutral position only works when moving the shifter to the driver side.

Namely if I have the shifter in neutral and move it over to the left position (between R and 1) and let go it will return to center under power of a spring (feels like), however if I move it to the right position (between 4 and 5) it will just lay there and not return to center.

I've looked through TM9-2520-246-34-1 to find the issue, but cant identify what the specific part is without opening it up.

Any thoughts?

pitpawten

Seems normal in both deuces I’ve owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice to meet another Elijah on the site (not too many of us around : )

My brother had an A2 and I'm almost certain that it had a definitive return to center.

That being said his and mine are the only 2 that I've ever driven so open to hearing otherwise

fleetmech

I believe thats normal. The spring is designed to keep you from overshooting while passing through neutral and catching (or clashing) first or reverse instead of 2nd or 3rd. Its kind of a passive shift gate to keep the driver from accidently selecting ratios that will really break something should they catch.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been a while, but, IIRC, 1st-2nd has a spring for the reason stated above as does "R". Nothing in the middle. I'll check the next time i'm at the Museum....maybe tomorrow.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... The spring is designed to keep you from overshooting while passing through neutral and catching (or clashing) first or reverse instead of 2nd or 3rd. Its kind of a passive shift gate to keep the driver from accidently selecting ratios that will really break something should they catch.
Exactly. It's two springs actually and they only start compressing once the shift plate is moved out of neutral, to the right side, towards the 1st-R shift rail.

pitpawten

Seems normal in both deuces I’ve owned
I believe thats normal. The spring is designed to keep you from overshooting while passing through neutral and catching (or clashing) first or reverse instead of 2nd or 3rd.
It's been a while, but, IIRC, 1st-2nd has a spring for the reason stated above as does "R".
Exactly. It's two springs actually and they only start compressing once the shift plate is moved out of neutral, to the right side [by moving the shift lever to the left] towards the 1st-R shift rail.
Ok, then that's that and instantly I have one less thing that needs to be fixed : )

Thanks for the quick responses all.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad we could help.

Now, did you edit my quote... right side to [left side] and why... :???:?
When you pull the shift lever to the left (drivers side) the shift plate actually moves to the right (passenger side). Said springs, as well as the 1st-R shift rail are on the right side of transmission.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks