• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifter Box Rivet Nut Installation Help

cg25713

After a moderate struggle, I finally was able to remove the 4 long bolts holding the shifter box down on my M1152. I fear the nuts will be nearly impossible to put back from below.

I think I read some of you installed threaded rivet nuts for these bolts. How do you do this? Is it done from below or above? What rivet nut tool will fit in either location that you can actually reach?

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

AAVP7

You put in the rivnuts from above. No problems fitting the tool. Just enlarge the holes to the corresponding rivnut diameter, and go ahead rivetting.

Removing the old bolts was the hard part....

cg25713

Thank you for the quick response. I haven't fully removed the whole thing - I've been trying to replace the lighted indicator without pulling shifter totally out. How do I take the shifter out? I asume cables are attached. How do they disconnect? What is the procedure? Thank you again.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Your more than half done... Note the wires (label if confusing) carefully twist and pull the connections at the "Packard connectors" one for the light and two for the neutral start switch. Remove the linkage pins and done. Snap a picture or five if memory is slipping.

These nut clips might be the answer. Go with the heavy duty ones with the threads. Drill the exsisting hole in body for the clip a bit oversize and a dab of anti-seize. Note that some have a centering doo-dad to fit in the hole. May have to trim the tub for fit, can't remember?? Handy for other places when out of reach or blind locations. OEM haters will love YA.

Might consider cleaning the shifter assembly all nice and new when out. Grease here and there for smooth operation. Add the back-up light switch, if planning on using the shifter for that too.

GET the 1/4 - 20 ones. This is an example >

Easier now that later for the first time DIY owners, CAMO

Last edited:

cg25713

Thanks for the great info. I'm going to do this right now. Which backup light switch should I use and how is it installed? Sorry for the basic questions. Thanks.

papakb

You can invest in a HMMWV backup light switch for around $80 or you can go to your local Napa store and get one for about $15. You'll have to add the wires but for a switch that'll probably never be seen again is that an issue? I mounted one on my HMMWV 20 years ago and the only thing I needed was a standard brass pipe reducing fitting from Home Depot to match the switch thread size to the hole in the shifter housing. Now's the time to do it with your shifter out. If your worried about installing the rivnuts there are loads of You Tube videos on how to install rivnuts both with and without special tools.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can piece it together yourself, but for not much more money for the wiring there are kits available

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a good deal
Yeah, it is surprisingly good.
After all the stress of finding all the parts individually, as well as making all the wires and connections and whatnot; if I have to do it again I'm just buying this kit. The few dollars saved aren't worth the hassle.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
After I removed the shifter assembly, it appears my truck is equipped with a backup light switch.
Do you have two switches on the shifter assembly or one. Another way to look at it 3 wires or 5?

Are we going forward or backwards, CAMO

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thread on here that suggested using a neutral safety switch for a Massey fergeuson farm tractor as it had the correct oddball threads. I bought one off ebay for $15. Had not installed it yet but looks like it will work perfectly. Just makeing my own wiring harness

papakb

If your truck isn't already wired for backup lights I picked up my 24v hot lead from the shifter legend lights. That way I could turn the dash lights down or off if I didn't want the backup lights coming on for some searon and it means only having to run 1 wire to the lights on the back of the truck.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I removed the shifter assembly, it appears my truck is equipped with a backup light switch.
The 4 spd shifter has one switch.. neutral safety....a reverse switch can be added....basically, the same mechanical parts as the neutral switch,
and the neutral switch is the same as reverse switch, except for the end connectors.
Ambulances had a reverse switch from factory, and a few others.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the 4 speed you not only have to buy the switch, there is also a little metal actuator plate to go with the switch and activate it. For me finding that was more difficult than getting the switch was.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I encourage my customers to just install a switch independent of the shifter.
this allows the use of the light as not only a backup light, but as a utility light when working at the
rear of the truck....all my customers have come back to thank me for having them go this route,.
they love it when camping and towing a trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks