• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifter Box Rivet Nut Installation Help

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you wire it via a manual switch or another way?

I know in my state and others to pass inspection, it has to come on when in "reverse"
Around my local are, some inspectors require the vehicle be handed over to the inspector, so for mine I wired it to come on when put in reverse. The switch screwed right into place in the shifter, no mods were needed outside of tapping into the wiring. I tapped the service light because I always ran lights, put that power to the switch and I knew they would need to check the lights anyways so it helped be sure it would have power. I am sure you can tap into another constant supply that would only need the switch to activate the lights in reverse, regardless of service lights being on. I used a standard hmmwv neutral safety switch. $10-15.

cg25713

Guys. I'm fairly new and a bit confused on the back up lights. Is there a thread that shows how to install the switch? Do I need to add rear lights as well or will tail light go bright while in reverse? sorry for these basic questions.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys. I'm fairly new and a bit confused on the back up lights. Is there a thread that shows how to install the switch? Do I need to add rear lights as well or will tail light go bright while in reverse? sorry for these basic questions.
you have to add your own lights to use for reverse.
Not sure about the rest.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do not have a light installed already, then yes you will need to install some. The taillight will not turn white like normal cars, or at least i have not seen them. A cheap set of amazon led fog lamps works well. The neutral switch, like I used, in installed in the shifter mechanism itself. Upon removing the shifter (like the original poster of this thread) you get much better access to the underside where installation takes place. The neutral switch has threads on it that match up to a position on the underside of the shifter, so that when you put it in reverse, it will hit the switch, thus sending power through the wiring back to the lights. You can also hook up your wiring at this time when you have some access. Find the wire for your rear service(tail lights, not brake lights) lights as they go back to the rear of the truck.

I don't know the number on the wires, someone may chime in with that info. They should have a crimped metal tag indicating the number of the wiring diagram. I just followed the wires for the taillight up the frame underneath to where it got close to the shifter. I added a splice to that wire, using stock military connectors to match up to the neutral switch. Used heat shrink tubing and plugged them in. I grounded the lights at the frame where the lights were attached. So after turning on the service lights, when you shift into reverse, the backup light would then use the power from the tail lights to activate the back up lights.

Parts wise, search for a "neutral safety switch hmmwv and backup led lamps or fog lamps" you can find them on ebay and amazon. Gear-report also had a few switches for sale recently he may still have some. You'll need some packard connectors for the wiring splice as well if you want it to look "factory." You can also get those on the same sites. I spent about $60 i believe for all items, and i splurged on the super fancy led lamps.

Hope that helps.

check this out as well

cg25713

Thank you very much. This information helps alot. I plan on ordering the parts today. I will post brief commentary and pictures of the job for others in the future. Thank you again.