• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shifting and blinkers

reelclassic

Two quick questions. My LMTV seems to shift hard from first to second, then after that pretty smooth. Is this common? and when I press D (drive) it goes straight to 7.
Also, my blinkers only seem to work when all the lights are active. Any suggestions! Thanks

Lmtv772

Banned
Hey Realclassic. I don't know I I did tell you (thought I did) The 2003 shift pad doesn't show the gear you're in. but the available gears. The A0 had the two screen displays.
That part I definitely did tell you. The lights have to be on (serv-drive)... or on Park for the blinkers to work

Last edited:

sargentwolf

Turn signals only turn on when lights are on for tactical reasons. Also, if your driving under night vision and suddenly your blinker turns on, you can blind the guy following you. That's what the BO option is on your light controller, blackout mode.

If you hit mode on the transmission it goes to manual mode and you can select gears by pressing up/down on the pad. First gear is usually skipped by the controller as the ratio is like 7.5 to one or something, it's a crawl gear.

Hard shifting from 2-3 or 3-2 is normal, the gear ratio is still crazy high. It does smooth out majorly if you change the transmission oil out for transmission fluid, there's a write up in this forum by Overdrive.

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
Obtw I did tell you about the hard shifts, too. It's because of the engine oil in the transmission, as soon as you change to ATF it will get a lot better. Overdrive and I have done the swap.
With engine oil in the transmission, it will shift better when the transmission warms up to operating temp.
So the shifts are not really normal, as there isn't the proper fluid in the transmission. But as per Allison, it will work . just shorten the lifespan of the unit a lot.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Reminder; the drive gear you are put into when first taking off is not "first gear". So the thump your feel between is like Sarge says..... between 2nd and 3rd. First gear ratio can only be reached when you're in the off highway mode so that is not in play 99% of the time for many.

Lmtv772

Banned
Obtw I did tell you about the hard shifts, too. It's because of the engine oil in the transmission, as soon as you change to ATF it will get a lot better. Overdrive and I have done the swap.
With engine oil in the transmission, it will shift better when the transmission warms up to operating temp.
So the shifts are not really normal, as there isn't the proper fluid in the transmission. But as per Allison, it will work . just shorten the lifespan of the unit a lot.
You'll see when we change the fluid how much better it will shift. Remember what I told you about the 'noise'

parklandtrans

Also ONE VERY IMPORTANT ITEM TO REMEMBER....IS UNLESS ACTIVATED ON MASTER LIGHT PANEL...YOU WILL HAVE NO BRAKE LIGHTS EITHER...FOUND OUT THE HARD WAYS A FEW YEARS AGO...AND I STILL FORGET TO TURN ON SOMETIMES TO THIS DAY...JUST ALITTLE FOOD FOR THOUGHT SO YOUR BRAIN DONT STARVE..!!!...lol...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also ONE VERY IMPORTANT ITEM TO REMEMBER....IS UNLESS ACTIVATED ON MASTER LIGHT PANEL...YOU WILL HAVE NO BRAKE LIGHTS EITHER...FOUND OUT THE HARD WAYS A FEW YEARS AGO...AND I STILL FORGET TO TURN ON SOMETIMES TO THIS DAY...JUST ALITTLE FOOD FOR THOUGHT SO YOUR BRAIN DONT STARVE..!!!...lol...
No need to shout.

parklandtrans

Did not mean to come across sounding like I was shouting....I was merely making a point because I consider that to be an extremely important safety issues especially for the person who may be behind That HMMWV or 5 ton with no brake lights on...As you can imagine the outcome would not be very pretty for all parties involved. Have a good day my friend

Lmtv772

Banned
Did not mean to come across sounding like I was shouting....I was merely making a point because I consider that to be an extremely important safety issues especially for the person who may be behind That HMMWV or 5 ton with no brake lights on...As you can imagine the outcome would not be very pretty for all parties involved. Have a good day my friend
True I agree. I always put my headlights on when I drive. So, I'm sure the brakes are going to work.
Basically no light will come on unless you tell it to. Which makes sense , since it's a military Vehicle.

sargentwolf

Drivers training in the army DRILLED it into us about turning on the lights as soon as the engine was started. Unless your in tactical or NOD driving, headlights on!!!!!!

Still have the habit, once engine is stable running, turn the lights on then unlock the steering wheel.. Then turn on the 4-way and hop out to do a quick walk around, making sure all turn signals work. Usually by then, the stupid low air warning shuts up and you can sit in the cab without holding it or plugging your ears.

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
Drivers training in the army DRILLED it into us about turning on the lights as soon as the engine was started. Unless your in tactical or NOD driving, headlights on!!!!!!

Still have the habit, once engine is stable running, turn the lights on then unlock the steering wheel.. Then turn on the 4-way and hop out to do a quick walk around, making sure all turn signals work. Usually by then, the stupid low air warning shuts up and you can sit in the cab without holding it or plugging your ears.
Courtesy of MOS 88M :)

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn signals only turn on when lights are on for tactical reasons. Also, if your driving under night vision and suddenly your blinker turns on, you can blind the guy following you. That's what the BO option is on your light controller, blackout mode.

If you hit mode on the transmission it goes to manual mode and you can select gears by pressing up/down on the pad. First gear is usually skipped by the controller as the ratio is like 7.5 to one or something, it's a crawl gear.

Hard shifting from 2-3 or 3-2 is normal, the gear ratio is still crazy high. It does smooth out majorly if you change the transmission oil out for transmission fluid, there's a write up in this forum by Overdrive.
Don't hit the mode button unless you are offroading in slippery conditions. It changes the torque split of the transfer case, and the manual advises not to do this on hard surfaces. At least on the A0 model trucks, you can use the up/down arrows to set the highest gear the transmission will shift to. True 1st gear is only accessible after entering "mode" and you have to use the down arrow to shift into it.

FSRD

So I just picked up an lmtv and when I push the D button to put it into drive the highest gear it shows it can go into is 5th gear. I'm not sure what's going on with it. I push the up Arrow to see if I could increase it to be able to go into a higher gear but it does nothing. I press the mode button and it will say mode on mode off or something like that when I press it back and forth between the two settings and it will only go into drive when the mode is on. This is again the range where it will only shift up to 5th gear. I did finally get it to go into the other range by pushing the mode button while driving when it was on the option that works. Doing that changed it from having 5th gears as the highest gear to being able to go into 7th Gear. Am I missing something here I thought that these trucks were supposed to automatically default into hi range where you have seven gears. Is there anyone that can provide me with some assistance or Clarity on the situation that is occurring? So when I did finally get it to engage into the option that allows 7 gears my U-joint blew apart and punched a hole in the transmission pan. It's just a small hole but it's enough to cause the oil to leak out so now I've gotta fix that before I can go anywhere and I have it pulled off to the side of the road. Can anyone recommend an epoxy or something that will work as a quick fix to the hole? For some reason it doesn't drain the oil out completely cuz I pulled the dipstick out to check the level wiped it off put it back in and pulled it out and it's still reading within the full range. I haven't held down the mode button were the up and down arrow at the same time when its in neutral whichever it is I don't remember I'll have to re-read that part to see if it's reading whether or not it's a quart or to low. It looks like it may have lost a quart or so. I've only got about a two-hour Drive till I'm home so assistance would be great.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

sounds like your mode button was activated when in mode you will start in low gear and will only shift to 5 when out of mode you will start in second and shift to high.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Depending on ctis setting and vehicle you may have limitations. Try unplugging the ctis controller and if that dosnt work put it into mode and then out.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be that the reason you blew a u-joint is because you were driving on hard surface in mode. If your truck is stuck in mode, I would suspect the keypad has water intrusion.

For your pan hole, I would make a patch using a square of aluminum from a coke can and JB weld it in place.

Last edited:

FSRD

I'm on my way there to fix the hole I've tried JB Weld already and it doesn't stick for nothing I clean the surface really good but the JB Weld likes to lift off once the transmission warms up.

Thanks for the info on the shifting/ key pad issue.