• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shifting issue

My trans isn't up shifting right. Having read some here, I put a shift modulator and new vacuum line in. It's actually worse now. Now it didn't shift up at all. At least I have a new modulator, vacuum line, filter, fluid and a drain plug soldered into the pan now.
What do I need to check next?
BTW, the replacement modulator was smaller than the original one.

New2CUCVs

I am having some of the same problems. I replaced the vac lines and vac mod on mine about 1 1/2 months ago. I purchased my replacement modulator from Advance Auto and, it was smaller with a red stripe (they said "THIS WAS THE ONE"). Not too sure about the diferent color stripes but, it has something to do with pump pressure and shift firmness. First test drive and it refused to shift until HIGH RPMS. Called Advance-- guy said I needed to adjust (loosen) screw in vac mod. Seemed to improve matters but, still not right. Proceeded to adjust via the vac regulator at IP. I have decent vaccum but, did not get shift vs. RPM corrected. SO, I went back to adjusting at the modulator, per a thread here on SS. When I adjusted the vac mod to get shift timing / rpms right, the trans started slipping. NOT GOOD! Out of curiousity, I went to O'Riley's. They had, in stock, the small vac mod just like Advance AND, a larger vac mod (white stripe) just like Unc. Sam installed. Bought the larger unit and installed with out adjusting anything. Test drive results= shifts like it should. However, I'm afraid that I may have damaged my tranny by trying to adjust and use the vac mod from Advance. MY ADVICE-- MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT VACCUM AND GOOD VAC LINES! Then go to O'Riley's and get the big vac mod.

kentuckycucv

My truck revved real high then shifted hard. It would shift into second gear at 35mph..
Anyway I replaced ALL the rubber vacuum lines and it fixed the shifting problems. Not just the one to the trans but the ones by the injector pump back. Shifts great now.

ohfisherman

when i got mine it had a bad vacuum pump. located where the distributor would normally go. around $100.00. put a vacuum gauge to it while it is running and it should be showing a draw.

dunedigger

I had a shifting issue when I bought mine too. Ran real high rpms before it would shift. The hoses were all good but I changed them anyway. No difference. I backed off the two screws on the side of the injector pump and adjusted that modulator and it shifts perfect now and has since.