• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifting the transfer

Rich Johnson

So I havent driven my 1008 in 4x yet.
I was doing other things and started up the truck and decided to shift it into TcaseN. I couldnt figure out how to get past the 4H. Manual didnt say to move the lever to the side and pull back.

Any way, I had the Tranny in N and went to shift the Tcase from N back to 4H and I kept getting gear grinding (Foot was on the brake). I went back and forth several times and am sure. I put the Tranny in Park and then did the same without any grinding.
Why the heck is something still turning in N when shifing the Tcase.

This doesnt make sense to me, is it correct or is my Tranny not operating correctly?

Sometimes it does that to me coming out of 4wdL. I blip the throttle, go up to park, back down to N, and it usually mashes right back in there just fine.

idM1028

Sometimes my 1028 does this. Haven't really figured out a pattern to it. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to do it mostly when shifting from 4H to to 2H or 4L. The position for 2H on the 1028's is just a hair above 4L and is difficult to pick out when shifting from 4H so I usually just throw it down in 4L and give it a little love-tap. If I shift back into D and the truck drives, it worked. If not, I know I went too far and put it in N. Giving it JUST a little throttle when shifting seems to help.

Last edited:

Fleg

It's usually best to shift to Neutral and especially 4lo while very slowly moving. If you're at a dead stop then it's much more difficult to get into 4lo.

camogriz

Sometimes it is impossible to shift my M1009 into 4Lo, but I just put it into park and try again. If it doesn't go in after that, it will go in when i put it back into neutral. It also grinds from time to time. The transfer case works fine and this is my second cucv. The previous one did the same thing. I guess that behavior is normal.

rnd-motorsports

the 208 is a non synchronized transfer makes them a bit harder to shift that is why if you are setting still and pull it into 4 wheel high from 2 wheel it will pop out sometimes you should be moving slowly to pull into 4 wheel high from 2 wheel will go in easy

natemccabe

I'm not making fun of you, but the little window on mine was filthy and I didnt see the arrows, you have to push the lever sideways and then pull it back into 4lo ;-)

DokWatson

NP208 shift pattern is not straight back. You can shift between 4 high and 2 high in park or drive just fine, but for 4 low you should be in neutral first. If its still difficult, turn the truck off in neutral and shift the t-case. Don't be gentle with the shift lever either, crank that sucker into gear with some authority.

cmroles

Don't be gentle with the shift lever either, crank that sucker into gear with some authority.
I find the same thing true with shifting into 4LO in my M1009. I usually just put tranny in Park and then give that thing a yank back into 4LO.

I know that Neutral position on transmission should also let it go to 4LO, but mine seems to like Park better....go figure. 2cents

KsM715

It grinds in Neutral because there is nothing holding the mainshaft from spinning. With the transfer case in N the brakes are physicaly disconected from the drive shaft into the rear of the case, so no holding power there. However with the motor running, spinning the torque coverter and no brakes to hold the shaft from spinning the parasitic drag (sp?) (might even be the wrong term) from the Torque converter will still cause the shaft to spin. Placing the tranny in park will lock the shaft down with the parking pawl.

Does that make sense? The way I wrote it out?

Fleg

The problem is, like others have posted, you want the t-case to be every so slightly moving to get it to smoothly go into 4lo. There shouldn't be any grinding or having to muscle it into gear. When you shift into 4lo, get rolling very slow (2-3mph), put the transmission in neutral and in a smooth motion you should be able to shift into 4lo fairly easy. It takes practice and if your truck hasn't been in 4lo much then it might be a little "notchy" getting it into 4lo at first but that will smooth out the more you do it.

My old Jeep Wrangler would slide into 4lo very easy because I did it so often. My Dodge 3500 and Jeep Cherokee takes a little firmer shift to get into 4lo because they have spent very little of their life in low range. The Pinzgauer on the other hand is a mystery, sometimes it goes right into 4lo like butter, sometimes there is a brick wall where 4lo should be. I think it's more operator error then anything.

b4thundr

If it happens to grind I just shut off the engine. This will stop everything from spinning inside the Tcase. Its happened to me once and this was how I stopped it from grinding. I dont like that kinda grind.:mrgreen: It hasnt happened since but thats a quick fix.[thumbzup]
ditto just shut off the motor..........

bushhawg73

As others have posted the slight grind is kind of normal at times. I too have found that the tcase shifts easier if there is a less than 5 mph roll of the tires. You just have to get the feel for it. Every one of the vehicles I have ever driven has done what you described at one point. No big deal, just work with it and you will get it down.

pmramsey

What is not in the TM is printed on the driver's visor, if it is still readable. It says to place the transmission in netural, set the parking brake, and engage the front axle hubs. Then, move the transfer case to the desired 4L or 2L position. The light on the left dash illuminates when engaged 4-wheel. Now move the transmission to Drive position. Going from 4-wheel to 2-wheel drive one moves the transmission to netural, disengage the front axle hubs, move the transfer case to 2-wheel position, followed by moving the transmission to Drive.

If one is not in a hurry, the process works flawlessly.

pmramsey

Just like everything else in a CUCV, right?
We operate two-M1028s and two-M1008 CUCVs and they are all driven 1000-1200 miles a month each. They are what there are. We know them, love them, and sometimes cuss 'em but seldom do they let us down. We don't expect much so we are never disappointed. They are some hard working trucks and an excellent value for our farm stuff. If we have a long trip, we jump in the Dodge and the little sweet running Cummins never fails to remind us of what we are missing in the CUCVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks