• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ship's engineer M54A1 crash-course.

AMGeneral

AMGeneral....can you explain how to identify early and late and the advantages of either?
Well,there are actually lots of differences between the early and late style engines,but i'll condense it here.....

The earliest engines(FSN 2815-980-7092) Had 9/16 cylinder head studs,5 ring pistons,and had metal bearings in the injection pump governer.

FSN 2815-087-2273 engines had 4 ring pistons,5/8 inch head studs,and had bushings in the injection pump governer made of Teflon.

FSN 2815-045-6865 engines had all the improvements listed above,plus improved cylinder heads and crankshaft main bearings

To add to all the above confusion,the early engines also used a large Schwitzer 4D-554 turbo and 1 5/8 inch piston pins.

The later style used a Air Research 40790-1 turbo and had 1 7/8 piston pins.

I have seen power ratings from 205 hp to 220 hp and 611 to 720 ft/lbs torque,depending on early or late engines.

Waterkraft7

uploadfromtaptalk1456020321857.jpg before I left on this adventure, an old Veteran let me in on a tip. Any Vietnam era military truck will run like new if you use it to run over something by Jayne Fona. I just happened to have inherited a vinyl record collection from my mother in-law with a work out program narrated and released by Jayne Fonda. I asked my buddy if it mattered that I didn't pay for it, and that is was from my mother in law, and he said that only increased the potency.
Sure enough, it worked like magic. That explains how it just ran. Bad filters, bad fuel, no jump-star, in-experienced operator: none of that mattered.

daytonatrbo

Congratulations! I have nothing to add other than:

Having grown up in New England and gone to UMaine in Orono, it was fun just seeing all the pins dropping on the map from all the members offering their help.

Waterkraft7

Made it to my dad's house in portland. After keeping it running all day, it took ten minutes to figure out how to shut her down. Today I'm Changing some more fuel filters and making the last 100 mile leg. Come by for a beer if you'd like. 207-807-3687
Hi, I'm sorry I never got to my phone. Ended up helping my dad and then was in a rush to get miles down.. Never even looked at the phone.

Katahdin

No worries, but you did miss out on a four-pack of Allagash White that I was going to bring over. I spent the afternoon instead pulling injectors from my M109A3 for testing. Glad to hear you recovery went well!

acesneights1

As someone who has bought their fare share of trucks from GSA you were very lucky. Everyone I have gotten was full of the most rotten fuel I have ever seen, worked on by idiot mechanics from Fire Depts and nowhere near roadworthy. You were very lucky.
Nice truck. I love the one I have. What I would ask of you, could you pleas post detailed pics of where your heater hoses go on the motor ? I am trying to put a heater box on mine.

Waterkraft7

Absolutely, but could you remind me April 23rd. I'm the chief engineer on a ship and currently in the middle of my hitch. As for being lucky, I think it had a lot to do with running over the Jayne Fonda record. It made the truck 20 years younger.

Waterkraft7

The heater on mine is set up correctly, but I never dared to run that tiny fuel pump since it had been sitting so long. If you're looking at it head-on, the heater fuel pump is just inside,the steering fluid reservoir. It is all in the manual.

Waterkraft7

I just saw your profile pic, that is aces in my book. I wish I was home, I'd walk out there just to start her up. Doesn't need ether or a jump. Yeah, I did luck out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks