• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shock absorber install question-M1009

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

I have a simple shock absorber install question.

I have a M1009 Blazer..

If I install front and rear shocks myself.

Does the truck need to be jacked up or lifted off the ground in any way?

Also, what would be a good shock be for that truck?
I do not want the cheapest/lowest quality brand, or the most expensive/highest quality brand either.
Something in the middle, as I am on a budget.
So just something basic but good enough.

I know I may have asked that question before, but I do not remember the
recommendations, and I cannot seem to find them here.

Any information would be appreciated, thank you, have a good day,
Have a Happy & Safe New Years, God bless all of you.

Good night,

CJ

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be easier to get them in with the body (frame) lifted with a jack, but you should be able to do it without. Just go to any auto parts place and get cheap shocks. If you are on a budget, get what you feel you can afford.

lindyp38

mark and i did it with truck on the floor.....no jacking needed......clearance is high enough for u to work....

id hit the nuts and bolts with pb blaster now......or wd40......to help them come off faster.......

good luck....

lindyp38

i did the search here for the correct shocks.......the numbers are here......

advance auto had em...so did autozone........i wound up with car quest shocks......big improvement in the ride.......

Mudstone

get yourself a set of bilstiens you don't need to jack up the truck at all... the rears are a pain in the butt... the top bolt is like inside the frame. The fronts are real easy and honestly the whole job isn't so bad and can be done. I liked having a friend to help compress the shocks to bolt em up.

tankie88

Did my shocks with the vehicle on the ground only prob was the rear L/H shock.The top mounting bolt you can't get at from the inside of the frame.So as the shocks came with new mounting bolts....out came the grinder and cut the bolt off from the outside.New mounting bolt on....job done.

Last edited:

dc3coyote

Jay I was just thinking about you today, its been a long time.

I second the vote for Rancho, they are fairly good shocks at a good price. I have put them on almost every truck I
have ever owned. I am a fan of the RS 9000.
You can do the shocks without lifting the truck but it would make things much easier to lift it a couple inches at least.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks