• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shock absorber length

zr2yz125

Does anyone have the compressed and uncompressed length for the shocks? Thanks!

Mine is an M1123 that was previously uparmored.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First WELCOME to SS!!
I cannot help as I do not have any lose shocks to measure, a quick Google search came up with this, I hope it helps.
May be some disagreement
https://www.4x4parts.com/i-23898614-monroe-heavy-duty-shock-absorber.html

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But I suspect shocks are not going to give you the ride you hope for, there are many here that can attest to the woes of the "de-armored" HMMWV spring stiffness.
Try some Google searches and check out the ones on SS about that subject.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah, if it's an M1123 the uparmored springs have a compression rate that's about 3 times that of the standard M998, so shocks won't really make it softer.

zr2yz125

Thanks, I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on the topic and keep coming up with conflicting information. The 4x4parts link agrees with the other dimensions I've seen - I have not really started looking for springs yet, but I see that they have the stock variable rate springs as well as the stock front springs. This is a good link to have if I have to go the spring route.

When I'm offroad and cross up the suspension, it does flex - which makes me hope the springs may not be the major contributor to my complaint. The problem is when I'm driving on a gravel road - it wants to shake the fillings out of my teeth.

I'm going to disconnect the shock absorbers and drive it around the yard and down the road. That experiment will let me know how much the shock is contributing to the poor ride. I do a lot of wrenching but changing out these springs worries me - it's a bit bigger than a strut spring on the family car!

I found the below chart. I mic'd my springs at diameter 1.20", however they do have a thick layer of undercoating on them - so that makes the measurement about worthless.

1658760309113.png

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not think that is a complete list, I do not see any 7700lb GVWR unless they are the same as the 10,300LB I have also seen 10,000lb GVWRs
You can scrape the undercoating off, springs should not be undercoated

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think shocks are the problem and probably help more than you realize. It is the stiffness of those uparmored springs to carry the weight that is giving you the nasty ride. I would recommend using the stock m998 springs and if worried about the 6.5 motor possibly being heavier than the 6.2; use the m1038 that has a winch front springs.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The two engines are virtually he same weight, you have to change the spring mounts (rear at least not sure about the front) to go to the softest springs which were more than enough for my M998 with an S-788 shelter on it. and my other M998 with helmet top, winches on both ends and a custom front bumper/brush guard Gross weight of 7400lb

zr2yz125

I'm not sure what the different spring mounts look like, but the front and rears appear to be the same. Would I have to change them out to use a lighter spring? These are the rears.

1658783472632.png

zr2yz125

I found this in another thread, this must be the cast mount with variable rate spring, and I must have the stamped with the MAK spring?

Now I need to find a softer spring that works with my spring mounts and maintain ride height

1658789631580.png

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently more than one set of springs in the MAK because mine has the rear cast spring mount and heavy, single rate springs.
It can be either mount in the rear.

zr2yz125

I unbolted the front shocks and drove down my gravel road. Still couldnt do much more than 13 mph, but it was better than the 8 mph I was doing before.

zr2yz125

I also did a flex test where I put RF and LR in the air.

I measured the top of the tire to the bottom of wheel well to see how much flex I'm getting. All numbers in inches - positive Delta means spring is compressed.

1658847903090.png

The gravel road test shows that the MAK shocks are contributing to the overly rough ride (I've owned leaf sprung Jeeps and the HMMWV is STIFF).
The flex test shows the springs need to be softer.
Anyone who is running the variable spring setup in the rear - is it worth going that route?
It appears there is only one style of cast upper spring perch.

1658846554207.png
1658846590934.png

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks