• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shocks

Rebelpride

I had a thought the other day about the shocks on the deuce. Would it be possible to
replace the stock deuce shocks with something like Rancho's, Skyjacker, Bilstein, etc?

Also you know when your drivin' the deuce you get some kick back on the steering wheel
from the tires: Question is could you rig up some sort of steering stabilizer using Rancho's or
another brand? Anybody done this or considered it to? If so post some pics.

acetomatoco

Kickback in a Deuce is usually sprag related... not so in a air shift version. You will be getting tire and wheel imbalance around 40 mph... and loose wheel bearings and uneven tire pressures contribute, too

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ace, kick back like when one of the front tires meets up with a large object causing the steering wheel to make a very fast left or right turn...ouch! never thought of making a set up for the deuce. Suppose it could be done, you'd just need to find out the travel that the tie rod makes.

Chanhyx

My first post shows my deuce goin through a ditch and the steering wheel spun like wheel of fortune, I wasn't expecting all that but now I know, If i'd had my hand in the steering wheel I'm sure I would have ended up with a broken wrist, and yup mine does have air shift for the front hub engagement.
Thanks
Monty

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The same reason one should never reach through the steering wheel to activate/de-activate the turn signals (blinkers).

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it be possible to
replace the stock deuce shocks with something like Rancho's, Skyjacker, Bilstein, etc?
Yes, had Rancho #5135 w/stock suspension: much better ride over bumpy terrain, and specially while cornering. (compared to original gasser shocks, prob. over 40 years old but only 5000 miles usage!)
The Ranchos where to short after 2" susp. lift so I installed Gabriel HD truck shocks #83456, much stronger, not to stiff, had to drill support& bracket, nice accessory if you run heavy supersingle radials.

....could you rig up some sort of steering stabilizer using Rancho's or
another brand?
Yes, Rancho stabilizer# is 1127, it has 10 1/2" travel. Needs custom fabbed brackets.
I was about to install it but then I decided to go the hyd. power steering route...

So, no pics this time, sorry!

Gerhard

littlebob

Great question and answer. I hope I can search and find it later when I need it. If I was more organized I would put it someplace I could find it later.
littlebob

Trango

RE: Re: RE: Shocks

Question about shocks - has anyone put them on the rear axles? My deuce bounces all over the place in the rear, and I'm wondering if rear shocks would be worth the effort.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Shocks

shocks out back would be a feat to accomplish cause of the rears both moving off one pivot point. prolly wouldnt do much anyway back there due to the spring not
really flexing. stick 1,000 pound in the bed and leave it there, it will make it ride better and is easy to do

bottleworks

Re: RE: Re: RE: Shocks

Trango said:
Question about shocks - has anyone put them on the rear axles? My deuce bounces all over the place in the rear...
You may have an issue with the rear axles fighting each other. If the circumference of the tires between the rear most axle and the middle axle, the axles will try to spin at slightly different rates. Because they are ridgedly connected, (with a drive shaft), they are forced to spin at the same speed. This then makes the wheels will hop.

You can remove the drive shaft between the two axles to confirm/deny this issue...

Jakob

Re: RE: Re: RE: Shocks

MUDLORD said:
shocks out back would be a feat to accomplish cause of the rears both moving off one pivot point. prolly wouldnt do much anyway back there due to the spring not
really flexing. stick 1,000 pound in the bed and leave it there, it will make it ride better and is easy to do
Any combination of metal items that I have that weighs 1k lbs goes to the scrap yard.