• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shooting with Rapco- Tips?

Ajax MD

I ran a search but all the Rapco advice seems to deal solely with their rattle cans.

What with the big quarantine going on, I'm not willing to travel to the local home stores for a gallon of Behr paint.
I've decided that I'm going to order a gallon of 383 Green from Rapco to shoot the troop seats and probably the whole truck, (an M998) if the troop seats go well.

I have a 25 gallon compressor and the cheap-y spray gun that came with it. I'm looking for a "mlitary grade" finish, not Concours quality. This is not a show truck.

Does anyone have any tips for shooting Rapco with a spray gun, such as thinning, thinning products, work time, etc? Rapco recommends Xylene but I just wanted to check here for any real life experience.

Thanks.

67Beast

Seeing that you are on the east coast, getting it from Army Jeep Parts in PA. might make for cheaper shipping. It is the same Gillespie paint that Rapco sells. Just be aware that the hazmat charge by UPS that both of them have to charge makes shipping pretty expensive. The hazmat charge is by box so if you buy more than 1 gallon, it spreads that cost out over them all making it better. They can ship up to 4 gallons per box. https://www.armyjeepparts.com/t-GCI_paint.aspx I have used their painting recommendations on all 5 trucks I have painted and they turned out great.

18operator

IMG_0760.JPG
I did the same process M35A2-AZ did. It worked really good through my inexpensive spray outfit. I'm about 5 years into the paint job and it's held up well.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any tips for shooting Rapco with a spray gun, such as thinning, thinning products, work time, etc? Rapco recommends Xylene but I just wanted to check here for any real life experience.

Thanks.
Thin the paint with Xylene. That is what was recommended to me by RAPCO. The 383 Green came out as an almost perfect match for the CARC and sprayed great. It is also holding up very well.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally would hold out and wait for this stuff to pass. Or suit up and get some Behr paint. The Behr seems to be what everyone is going to.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try Brent Mullins Jeep Parts in Texas. He has a line of spray colors and gallons. I find them apply and wear better that the Rapco product.

waayfast

I painted my M35 Gasser in 2008. Used Gillispie thinned 4-1 with Xylene. VERY easy and forgiving and cheap in price. I've done a lot of Acrylic Urethane base/clear in my body shop over the years and while that is VERY durable, I have been pleased with this "old tech" product as well. Difference being, the well over 10 times less cost.

I have not tried the Behr solid stain route on a vehicle but just recently bought a solid "house paint stain" of another brand for siding on the house and it was just about the same price as a gallon of Gillispie.
For me, I would be concerned about doing repairs or repaint down the road with a latex coated truck. I sandblasted a metal flower pot holder (big/fancy/multiple wrought iron holder) for my lady years ago that had multiple coats of latex paint. TOOK FOR FREAKIN' EVER! Seemed like the "rubber" paint just made the sand bounce off, LOL!!
Just old and set in my ways, perhaps--your mileage may vary.
BTW, my Avatar shows my M35. The bed and racks are factory CARC, the cab is Gillispie. Photo is about 2 years after I painted it.

waayfast

The black has faded but that was NAPA spray can. The "front" photo was just this winter. Truck has always been parked outside. 12 years.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rapco sells Gillespie. Gillespie makes good paint. It lays down nice and is relatively durable. You can purchase Gillespie from several sources. I had an issue with Rapco, and won’t go back for more. PM me if you want to know more. My next vehicle will be painted with Beher.

Flyingvan911

Be sure to wash the truck with a degreaser first. The new paint might soak into the CARC. Give those spots about 15 minutes then go over with another coat. Repeat until the paint is smooth.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enamels, whether oil-based or alkyds, typically take up to 3 weeks to fully cure or harden (“gas out”). Whenever I shoot an enamel, I try to let it harden for a month before I do any work with it (whether color-sanding or just assembling), whenever possible.

GopherHill

Be sure to use an organic vapor respirator when you use xyl ene reduced paint. You can add catalyst to your paint for faster curing. That needs the respirator also.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Late post i just saw the thread but for what its worth i shot 5 gallons of rapco 383 green and i mixed it 4 parts 383 1 part laquer thinner and it shot great out of a gravity feed gun i shot it outside sunny 80/85 degrees and the 5 gallons put one good coat on the whole truck going to put 5 more on it in the next few months the same way except im going to shoot it out of a paint pot save the up and down time . Took the tape and paper off drove it home 6 hrs later

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks