• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shopping for a snatch block

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mechanical Engineering - Pulleys This gives alot pulley basics and backs up the FM 20-22. If you use a fixed snatch block you have a mechanical advantage of 1:1. When the pulley is moveable you get the 2:1 advantage. The FM 20-22 page 25 shows this. Figure 17 is if the truck is using a snatch block on a tree hooked to a tree. Figure 18 shows if the block is attached to the bumper and a second truck is pulling it the advantage is 2:1. And in fact the FM 20-22 page 24 subpart (a) says basically: "A block attached to a stationary object (anchor) is classified as a fixed block and permits a change of direction where distance and resistance are equal: no mechanical advantage is gained."

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please explain para "C" on page 66. It explains what I'm talking about.

A fixed
block will gain a mechanical advantage on a selfwinching
operation even though the sheave of the
block is performing as a first-class lever because​
66​
the source of effort (the winch) is part of the
load; therefore, both the fall line and return line
are attached to the load and supporting it. Since
there are two lines supporting, the load a 2 to 1​
mechanical advantage is obtained (fig 47).

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you are right the key to getting the mechanical advantage is the end of the winch cable has to be attached to the truck and not some other fixed object.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hndrsonj, After all these post it seems we have finally come to an agreement :wink:.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anyone going by Randy Emrs house or Colemans that will also be attending the GA rally? I'd love to buy some blocks but shipping a half dozen would kill me.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't timtrucks say he had some? If you can work out a deal with him I could get them to you Kenny.

Jake0147

A couple of you guys are scaring me a bit...

The block does not care who is moving, what is fixed, or why you hooked it up in the first place. The reaction force on the hook of the snatch block will be the vector sum of the two forces applied, which is the line going in, and the line going out. ALWAYS. It does not matter what is hooked where. Even if you are working on a 1:1 rig, gaining no advantage. The force on the block is the sum of the two parts of the line and may range from zero force at all to twice the force applied by the winch, depending on the angle involved. Not what's moving or what isn't moving.

Don't want to figure vector sums... In previous posts you'll find the information in chart form. There is also a good "cheat" since in all practicality most people will have one size of snatch block to choose from, and a select few might keep two on hand, you need only remember one number. 120 degrees between the line in and the line out is the magic number where all three forces (the cable in, the cable out, and the snatch block hook) all three receive equal forces, and are angled equally from each other. If the cable's angle is equal to or wider than 120 degrees from each other (less sharp of a bend in the cable), then it is safe to use a block that supports the winch's maxumum pull and you will always be covered, but that is the maximum. If the two cables are closer than 120 degrees (sharper bend in the cable), use a block that supports twice the winch's pull. You can always use a block that's too big...

Again, the snatch block does not care what you are doing. The reaction on the block's hook is force from the line in plus the force from the line out. Period.

lebel1886

Deuce snatch block

I am not claiming to know more than any of you guys about this stuff, I'm sure I don't, but I do know that the snatch block that goes with a deuce is rated for 10,000 pounds. I am picking up a lot Tuesday that has new ones in it. Here is some of the info: NSN 3940001116693, [FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-2]TRUCK, CARGO, DROPSIDE 2 1/2-TON 6X6 W/E,
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-2]MAXIMUM LOAD RATING [/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-2]10000.0 POUNDS.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jake makes reference to a critical angle of 120° between the load and the winch....here is a sketch showing the angle and how a smaller angle will gradually increase the load on the snatch block until it is at a maximum of twice the winch pull. He makes a good point and I think it's worth repeating.

Attachments

BEASTMASTER

i tink all you guys worry too much.. i've been using cables and snatch blocks and chains since i was 14 years old running wreckers to pulling out tractor trailers to cat dozers. never, never snapped a cable or broke a snatch block.you know what you wrap around a tree or whatever to hook a snatch block to ?? a crummy 3/8 chain. never snapped one of them either. maybey i've been lucky, but going on 60 yrs old i think i knew what i was doing. A MAN HAS GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS!

lebel1886

Snatch block

That's $100.00 each, the picture looked strange, looked like bare metal, I guess from the sunlight. I put up a new one so yo can know what they really look like.

cbvet

I picked up a snatch block today, but it has no load rating on it.
Made by "Bestco Blocks".
Sheave OD is 6".
Looks to be good for 1/2" cable.
Center bolt/ sheave axle is about 1" diameter, 1&5/8 hex head.
Weighs 20 pounds.
Actually looks exactly like Ebay #360167157602.
Sound familiar?
Any idea on load rating?
Thanks guys.