• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shops that replace brake pads

erasedhammer

So I've talked to Firestone and Les Schwab about replacing the brakes on my M998A1 and as soon as I tell them its inboard disk brakes they won't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Any one know some major auto repair shops that would replace brakes on a humvee/hummer h1?

Any in the Seattle, WA area?

papakb

Buy yourself a 7mm allen wrench and change them yourself. It takes all of an hour even with a learning curve built in. There's no magic to this job and it's fully documented in the maintenance manuals.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

infidel got me

Do them yourself. What better way to familiarize yourself with your vehicle. You have all the knowledge base at your fingertips. Its just nuts and bolts. Most part stores have a tool loan program, if you don't have your own.

Papakb-- I was typing while you were posting. Thinking the same thing you were!:roll:

Last edited:

Lawdog734

You don't need to be a "wrench" for basic maintenance tasks like changing brake pads. That's why there are TM's. They're written so that 18 year old kids can do this stuff - and sometimes not the brightest ones at that.

I'm not much of a wrench, but with a TM I've been able to do just about everything that's needed to be done with mine.

If you buy one of these vehicles without basic reading comprehension and knowing that lefty = loosey and righty = tighty, you'll be in for a very expensive ride if you have to rely on others to do it for you.

avlon01

Not everyone has the time or know-how to work on these vehicles.

I've sent mine to local mechanics to get work done. Easier than trying to find time to work on it.