• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Short Kansas Road Trip... M1009

91W350

The boys and I went for a short trip to get out of town for a few hours. All three of us had been cooped up for too long! I went to the doctor today and got released to go back to work. We visited a few old haunts, rather than try to get everything in one post, I will add a few replies.

The first was Ottawa County State Lake, owned by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, it is an older county lake. I wanted to get a photo of the M1009 in front of the WPA built building. I always thought this was a neat place, built out of native red sandstone blocks.....

The truck wheel is being used as an on the ground charcoal pit. I saw several of these today, had never seen it before.

Buddy just had to go out on the ice. That boy, he is brain dead. I am glad he did not go through as I would have to go drag his happy tail out. Glen

Attachments

91W350

I wanted to go to Rock City, which we did.... but as we were passing through Minneapolis, I remembered this old mural on the lumber building. I always thought it was a cigar advertisement.... it is a soda advertisement.

As I was taking the first photo, an employee came out and I could tell he was curiou what I was up to. I have a hard time passing these old wall advertisements. As we were talking, the owner of the lumber yard came out. He said if he could find a good photo of the wall, he would restore the ad. At any rate, he said... "Look who is driving your truck now"

The ad was painted on the wall away from the street and was placed there for the passenger trains that used to pass through here. It was nice to get some history on the sign..... it is dying history, a nice find though....

I cannot remember Cremo Soda, a Google search did not help much. Jackie Robinson apparently knew what it was...

1946 Jackie Robinson Soda Advertising Poster

Attachments

91W350

Looked like a good time.

Nice m1009!
Hey thanks!! I am still trying to figure out how to get to Salt Lake City to get your sister M1009 home. This is my Jefferon City truck....

Anyway, off to Rock City.... This is a place that thousands of people have visited over the years and I suspect if it was better known, it would not be nearly as peaceful as it is. We had the place to ourselves today...

I suspect this was another WPA project... the building anyway. This is a strange place, the largest known deposits of this kind in the world. You turn the corner and walla! There it is! 8^)

The boys were supposed to be in leashes, but nobidy was around and they had soooooo much fun!!

Rock City

Attachments

91W350

Luv your dogs,when we lived back in Michigan we raised them,and went to dog shows. We miss having them.
John
Thanks John, it would be hard to imagine life without them now. They are quite the entertainment package.

I post a lot of these with the boys in them for a friend on the forum. I also enjoy seeing other people's pets enjoying life within the hobby. Glen

Attachments

topgun217

Thanks for the posts, Great photo's! I pick up my m1009 Thursday so look out, I have a german Shepherd as well. I have pic's of all my MWD's and hope to get them up on here one day. The female I have now though is a family pet.....oh how they are fun to just watch, it's relaxing after chasing bad guys all day. I gotta say, I enjoy reading your posts!

91W350

Thanks for that! I love dogs and I love my military Chevies! I also like to get out of town and cruise the rural areas. It was really beautiful this evening, those Smoky Hills are rolling, tall grasses are all brown and the sun was setting on the way home. It is too grand to catch with a camera, I have tried and the photo is always disappointing. It is best looking west, not directly into the sun, but so you can see the shadows. I am thinking about a trip to Western Kansas, just for the relaxation of it. Glen

todds112

Great drive. Love historic buildings, ghost towns, etc. I've found some cool old cow camps/cabins up in the mountains here

Who was it that said, "Never trust a man that doesn't like dogs."?

Congrats on the release. Watch your 6 and be safe.