• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shorted out starter? disassembled pictures

Caustic

the starter solenoid got stuck and i think it fried the starter and batteries. everything got very hot and the terminals melted. I replace the batteries and removed the starter. The copper contacts had welded themselves to the disc in the solenoid which provides power to the cranking motor. i think the starter got shorted out because the solenoid was stuck. I unstuck the solenoid and filed the contacts clean. weird thing is when the starter is out of vehicle, it spins when attached to power (really fast... oops) but wont crank the the engine over. when i try to crank, the solenoid engages with a big "clunk" and the engine turns only slightly but then stops and draws a LOT of current from the batteries. and the terminals get really hot. im going to attempt to take it apart and see what it looks like. Any one have an idea what else i might have damaged running that much amperage through my starting circut?

thanks

Caustic

well i took the starter apart and cant find anything out of the ordinary
the brushes and contacts look good

im stumped, how can i test it?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried to crank the engine over by hand? I have heard that these engines can hydro lock, where the cylinders fill with fuel.

Last edited:

rdixiemiller

Take the starter to an auto electric shop. They can check it out for a reasonable amount. It might be worth the effort to turn the engine over by hand. Just make sure the fuel shutoff cable is pulled all the way! It would really suck for the motor to start with you holding a wrench on the crank bolt!
If the engine will not roll over, you might be hydrolocked. Then it is time to pull the injectors and get the cylinders cleaned out.

Caustic

the injectors are not even installed yet, so it wouldnt even crank the motor without compression

does anyone know what size the crank bolt is? 1 5/8 or something?

40grit

be careful test running starter motors, they are DC series wound motors, they have no top speed, if they don't have a load they will keep accelerating unitl they explode, we did it back in A school, kinda fun, they develop lots of torque and high ampere to get going, but without any load to slow them down they are a bomb....kinda fun to stick one in a dumpster with a set of jumper cables coming out, insulate the motor and anchor it down with a cinder block and hook it up and stand back...sounds cool as they speed up....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks