• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I buy it or not?

M35Maniac

I found this at a local car dealership. It's a 1956 GMC deuce with a gas engine and allison tranny guy says it runs good. I know almost nothing about owning one other than I really want one for show use as well as to haul in cars to scrap on the weekends. Asking price is $2500 which if I understand right is a good deal. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

gunboy1656

Just from the little pic, it looks pretty good.

The question is, is it an M211 with a bed from a 135, or a M135 with 211 wheels?

2500 does not sound bad as long as its in great shape, these truck are getting harder to find parts for. I know, i have a laundry list of parts I am needing to get mine on the road again.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cash money talks.... peel off 'bout $1600 onto his desk and STOP... just stare at him and see if he'll take it.... then after a reasonable wait, add another C-Note to the pile... and so on... REMEMBER - the first one to TALK LOSES!!!! You might just walk away with it for less than that sweet $2500.00 price tag.

Whatever you do, DO NOT DROOL over the truck until the deal is closed!

Judging by the one pick, I'd take it for $2500. It IS a collectible!

There is a M211 Gasser here that's a PROJECT++ and would need MUCH work and they want $1000 for it. (It's been converted into an oilfield winch truck and has a nice winch on the back on a "home grown" deck-type bed. Painted blue and F-UGLY... but i'm sitll considering $1K a decent price. I'm waiting for him to "need" to sell so I can swoop in for a better deal. OH... And he's recently gotten an M818 Tractor from GL, so he's got a new toy anywaze. He's still awaiting the paperwork process so he can put the M818 on the road.

Good luck and keep us updated.
:driver:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anytime you feel like buying an imaginary item, regardless of what it is, it's the time to buy. It is especially a good time for buying anytime you don't put any description or pictures of what it is you are looking at. Makes me want to pull out the wallet and charge it right now. :roll: I'm going to be a Congressman when I grow up.

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

I'd DO IT!

But then again I'm kinda biased....

As said earlier, offer less than he is asking.
I'd bet good money that he'll take $2K. Maybe less.

But $2500 isn't bad if it is complete & in good running order.

Make sure the brakes are in good working order, and check that the trans shifts thru all of the gears in both LOW & HIGH range.
Also make sure the front axle engages, and that there are no leaks at the axles or xfercase.

The dealer should be willing to fix ANY issues, and/or adjust the price accordingly!!

Give it a REALLY GOOD look over before you buy it. This might save you a few $$!!

Parts are not TOO difficult to get.
You just need to know where to look & who to ask.
(Memphis Equip, Alpha Heaven, eBay, SS members, etc.)
Some good sources and great advice on these old Jimmy Deuces is available here on SS.

Attachments

butch atkins

dosnt have an Allison tranny in it,has a GM Hydramatic 4 speed,he is blowing smoke ,tell him that and watch the price drop,and make sure the lo and hi range int work and all 4 gears shift in forward,also true about not using hi range reverse,check the tranny fluid thru the little door to the right of the gas pedal,look for water/coolant contamination in the oil,major fix to repair thisdrive it and check tranny fluid in neutral after you drive it,good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks