• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should i buy this deuce?

DeucesWild11

Seems rough to me, I would start lower as well.. You can/should be able to get a better running one for about $3000 but not sure of your technical expertise.. I am a car guy but not a mechanic by any means.. I would spend a little more for some piece of mind.. that is unless you don't mind the elbow grease... Good luck..

tah081

well he isnt the original owner either… what would be the issue if it is a sf97? are they supposed to get issued a regular auto title like you would see for any normal car?

KsM715

Let him get it running to the point that you feel comfortable with, then haggle on the price. He may find out it takes way more work than he wants to put into it for 2k you want to pay and he may back out of the deal. Then you're pissed. He may do all the work and then you decide it isn't worth the price you said you'd pay him and back out. Then he is pissed.

Make him get a title first before you buy it. The military title (sf97) better have his name on it, not someone else who bought the truck then sold it to him without an actual title.

As far as plates, some states, TX I believe is one of them, don't require an actual mounted plate but you still need to register the truck and that takes a title in most states.

tah081

how hard is it to get a title using a sf97 without the original owner involved?
i got a bonded title for my scout a couple months ago and that wasnt too hard at all just cost me a $100 for the bond

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't get a solid TX title in his name, i'd pass at 2K. Should be able to get another cheaper from GL in San Antonio.

tah081

Seems rough to me, I would start lower as well.. You can/should be able to get a better running one for about $3000 but not sure of your technical expertise.. I am a car guy but not a mechanic by any means.. I would spend a little more for some piece of mind.. that is unless you don't mind the elbow grease... Good luck..
yeah im pretty good turnin a wrench, layin some beads welding and blowin some holes with a torch or plasma…. thats why im soo excited :beer:

tah081

If you don't get a solid TX title in his name, i'd pass at 2K. Should be able to get another cheaper from GL in San Antonio.
ive been checkin GL for the past couple months with no luck of finding one anywhere near here… couple A3s and and a lot of 923s and 928s in north texas… believe me i looked

steelandcanvas

Let me reiterate for you: No title, no deal. Original buyer from the Government has to take the SF-97 and get a title and register the vehicle. Essentially, this vehicle has never had a title.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Certain states this is easy to fix due to their laws, TX isn't one of them. Get a title.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If the SF-97 is in his name he will have to take it to the DMV and get a Texas title and then sign that title over to you (at least that is the way it works in AL).

If he bought the vehicle from someone who got it from GL they will have to get it titled and sign it over to you.

Except that in AL you can't get title for a vehicle older than 1975 even with the SF-97......you can get a vehicle registered with a Bill of Sale and the SF-97.

See how confusing that can get?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the SF-97 is in his name he will have to take it to the DMV and get a Texas title and then sign that title over to you (at least that is the way it works in AL).

If he bought the vehicle from someone who got it from GL they will have to get it titled and sign it over to you.

Except that in AL you can't get title for a vehicle older than 1975 even with the SF-97......you can get a vehicle registered with a Bill of Sale and the SF-97.

See how confusing that can get?
That's what I was saying, in AL or GA you just register them; then when you move or sell it, other states title them off their registration. (ask me how I know this).

Last edited:

tah081

is this bad news? is there really no way of getting a title without the original owner?… im sure someone has done it.. could i call GL and get a new sf97 put into my name enabling me to get the title myself?

Attachments

Vintage iron

I would buy the truck for $1500. It would be a good parts truck! once it is picked clean, scrap the bones. You will double your money and have plenty of cheap parts for your other truck. Let's face it, you can never buy just one of these trucks and a parts truck is always welcome. Good luck and save the SF97 and bill of sale just in case!

tah081

i wanna use this truck tho… its all intact and not in that bad of shape except for the hood and fender that ive already located replacements for

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks