• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I change the transmission fluid?

The Baron

Hey guys I've had my 1984 M1009 for about a half a year now, I've changed all my fluids except for the transmission fluid. I have no clue when the last time it was changed. It seems to still be good, it is still pink and hasn't gotten that rotting smell yet. I've heard that if the fluid wasn't changed regularly you can majorly screw up your transmission. Should I bother changing it, is it a risk?

scottladdy

I would change it. Fluids oxidize over time. Plus, changing it will provide you a solid baseline for maintenance intervals going forward.

Based on my experience, a burnt smell indicates something is wrong in the tranny, assuming the "rotten smell" you referred to is the classic burnt ATF smell.

You might also consider changing the T-Case fluid as well, if not already done.

Just my 2cents

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing fluids regularly while a pain in the a... is the cheapest maintenance that you can do. While you are at it change the differentials also. The more items that you know that you have done the maintenance on you increase your odds of reducing problems down the road.

cucv1833

I would change it. Filter and oil is cheap and its not too hard to do. Then you know what you got. When First got my Oh-9 That same week I changed 100% all fluids and checked the front wheel bearings. Good or bad it got changed.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you are underneath having fun check your starter bolt torque, the two bolts like to lossen up and then one sheers off and it leaves you stranded and a pain in the a.. To get the sheared bolt out of the block.

ajsmith184

Put a drain pug in it while you're at it....Just dont put it where the filter will hit it....I found out the hard way and had to weld the hole I had drilled back up :???: