• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I clean the fuel tank? If so what's the best method?

trider

I am about to change the primary and secondary fuelfilters on my truck I purchased a few weeks ago. I was thinking it would be agood idea to drain the tank when I do and try to clean out any debris and or sedimentthat might have accumulated over the last 47 years. Is this something thatwould be a good idea and if so what is the best way to go about it once I haveit drained?

Last edited by a moderator:

insanejecke

vinegar get like 5 gals from Wal-Mart for cheap let it lay on one side for about 30 mines and turn over until all 4 sides have been clean. Wash out with sopy water and it should be as good as new.
Warning if you tank is really rust it might eat holes into it but if it that rusty its time for a new one.

Cruceno

When I changed my filters last month, I drained all my fuel into buckets and took the opportunity to run it through a water separating funnel (Google: Mr Funnel). Luckily my tank was fairly empty, and only had about 15 gallons worth of diesel...but I managed to separate almost a quart of water out of it.

Clean tank and pure fuel make for a happy engine!

63C20

I had serious varnish coral reefs in my tank that were making it to the primary FF and, I assume had caused the hydraulic head to fail (prior to me buying the truck)
I drained and removed the tank and all the fittings and used a pressure washer and Zep Orange cleaner, then dried it out with a heat gun, painted all the stuff that had not been touched for years and put it back together. I also used air to blow a nylon cord through the line from the tank to the primary filter, put a patch in the middle used brake cleaner and pulled it through the copper tube. It was pretty easy to do and I now have very little debris making it to the filter. Unfortunately I thought it the better part of valor to replace the in-tank fuel pump, even though the old one was working, it was nasty and did not meet my standards

Oh yes, unless your Deuce is a DD ** Add Biobor !! **
(I live in Florida so YMMV)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you peered into the tank to see if its even needed? Unless you see a bunch of crap in there, I wouldn't do it.

dabtl

I had serious varnish coral reefs in my tank that were making it to the primary FF and, I assume had caused the hydraulic head to fail (prior to me buying the truck)
I drained and removed the tank and all the fittings and used a pressure washer and Zep Orange cleaner, then dried it out with a heat gun, painted all the stuff that had not been touched for years and put it back together. I also used air to blow a nylon cord through the line from the tank to the primary filter, put a patch in the middle used brake cleaner and pulled it through the copper tube. It was pretty easy to do and I now have very little debris making it to the filter. Unfortunately I thought it the better part of valor to replace the in-tank fuel pump, even though the old one was working, it was nasty and did not meet my standards

Oh yes, unless your Deuce is a DD ** Add Biobor !! **
(I live in Florida so YMMV)
With the spin on filters, changing the primary is quite simple. If the crud is not too much, note: too much, then I would just drain and change regularly.

g2065g

You can get a jar of citric acid in the canning section at any store that sells canning supplies(walmart does). It's ~$3 and it will do as good or better of a job than vinegar. I use it to clean brass and it does a better job than vinegar. I know it works pretty good on steel too as I used a 5 gal steel bucket w/lid in a cement mixer to do a large batch of brass and the inside was rusted at the beginning and like a mirror when it was done. Either vinegar or the citric acid(add water) will work. Just another option.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not think any form of acid is going to get through the oil film. Use a flash light at night and inspect the chamber that you can see with the fuel cap off. If it looks good leave it alone. A good cleaning will require removal of the fuel pump to reach the center chamber. Gasoline makes a good cleaner for most light stuff in the fuel tank.

g2065g

So vinegar(acidic) works but not citric acid? I only added the citric acid idea because it is probably cheaper than 5 gallons of vinegar and it is the same principal. To each his own. If I need to clean my fuel tank i'll try the citric acid and post results. Gas probably works great too =)

gimpyrobb

There is info here somewhere that talks about the zinc coating or lining in our fuel tanks. If memory serves correctly, acid and zinc don't mix. I think it was stated they cause a deadly gas. If you guys do use acids, please do it outside for your own safety.

When I did mine, I drained it out and used xylene, it worked well on the crud in my tank. I wouldn't use an acid based cleaner unless you have rust issues(I still don't know if I'd use acid).

gimpyrobb

I know its hard to tell from the pic, but Jolly St. Nick is handing a candy cane to a kid in the background. You just can't see him with Santa's helper in the way. ;)

g2065g

Citric acid will remove oxidized zinc but if it makes dangerous gases i'd have been dead long ago. Nobody has to use citric acid to clean their tanks! My point was it is the same as using vinegar, but may be cheaper. In the case of brass it works better too :D

I suppose if the inside of your tank was oxidized then using vinegar or any other acid wouldn't be recommended as it does strip zinc. A weak solution for a short time shouldn't do any damage to non oxidized zinc though. But I am not a chemist so maybe I'm way off here. I know it works wonders on old brass and rusty metal.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

Your info is valued, I was just under the impression acids were not good to use on the fuel tanks. I will try the citirc acid on a radiator next time I need to clean one.