• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should i go with Green or Camo on a m1009

Which paint job should i go with on m1009?

• 3 color Camo complete repaint

Votes: 93 66.9%
  • Green

Votes: 46 33.1%

• Total voters

m1028#13

The 3 color camo is just THE way to go IMO. But then again, I live in the woods of WV. Camo aint too uncommon here.

****, even if I lived somewhere else, I'd still go with camo. I tend to scare people regardless of vehicle type/paint. The whole "rottweiler in the front seat and pistol on your side" thing tends to spook some folks. But hey, this is WV. I do fit in better here than I would elsewhere.

I have to admit though, half the fun of driving a CUCV every day is the looks I get from other drivers (especially college students from out of state, hehe).

mcmullag

3 color woodland camo

someone above mentioned they dont have the skill for painting camo. If I can do it anyone can. I have done two deuces free hand with spray cans. I printed out pics of camo trucks off the internet, 4 pics; driver side, pass. side and a front and a back pic.
One way to think about it is one color or blob continues over different surfaces so the lines of the metal, or the shape of the truck is broken up when you are looking at it 50 feet away. Here is my latest. Someday I hope to have a 4 color desert camo deuce. I was inspired too by the pics that bulldogmack13 posted in the past of trucks he has painted in his driveway using spray cans. :beer:

Attachments

ryan77

Spraying the camo is easy just get a cheap spray gun from harbor freight!! If i can do it any one can!! My last one i did came out perfect!! The sherwin williams carc is so easy to use a blind man could paint a truck with it!!!2cents

Flyingvan911

I spray my green base coat the brush on the black and brown. Pretty much the way a private would do it from the looks of the camo job that came on my truck from GL.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ryan check this out...This is just 1 story of many with harassment problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger
I had a local (new) deputy fallow me to my house way back in the woods telling me i could not park my truck there. I told him why don't you run the plates on the truck, after a rant from him i picked up my phone and called up to the PD in town and told them one of there new deputy's was telling me i could not park my truck at my house ( i have fixed the cheifs jeep a few times) his radio chirped and he was called back to the office. He waves to me every time he See's me now. I'm shure the cheif told him who owns that truck. After all the years with the fire dept i know most of the deputy's and have a good rep with them .

Hey Tigger, Was your truck painted in Camo..? I have a feeling it was. For some reason this peaks the police to investigate. There is a new thread running now about a guy going to repaint his truck, and is asking for a consensus as to 3 color camo or Plain green 383 CARC. For this reason alone a plain colored truck is way more inconspicuous than the 3 color and you will be left alone. The County where I live the cops are all ass???les and I would get pulled over once a week if I had the 3 color.

Back on track since when does it violate any law to park any vehicle on your own private property, no HOA and your way off the road. I really have a problem with the odasity of some police. Glad it worked out for you.

I feel if your truck was a deuce or M818 or anything else bigger than a CUCV Camo would be proper. Just thought I would share years of experience with CUCV's living in both Jersey, Michigan and Nevada and the way the police have a way of singling you out for harassment. I vote Green.

Last edited:

steved454

On the note that camo scares people. I have been driving mine to work lately and everyone now wants one. Only one guy( a rookie) saw it for the first time and said it looks like something you would use to fo kill someone with. He said he was sorry for the statement but if it would have been just green, it would have not scared him so much. LOL

ryan77

I also noticed that it seems on ebay the plain green ones sell for more then a camo one!! My last camo one i painted i had a hard time selling it and it was a nice one! I think the camo scared a lot of guys away from it!

txmytx_catahoula

I'm voting for camo! My m1009 is that way and I like the way it sticks out. I'm also siding with Dieselbob, when I get around to a new paint job it will be the MERDC 4 color!!

nattieleather

It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky

But green's the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful
And I think it's what I want to be

Many trucks when they get worked on at depot maintanece shops get repainted solid green so there is nothing wrong with going solid green. Besided if you do solid green then when you want to cammo it 1/3 of the job is done... :)

Asgar

Mine was green, mostly because my wife hates, like really hates camo. Last fall it got too rusty and I fixed all that then put the 3 color camo back on, following the TM and I think it looks good. I live in suburbia and mostly it just gets folks used to seeing me, and mentioning that to my wife. I think it looks great and that is the way it was supposed to look. I put the tarp / bows on it as well. A lot of fellows figured out who I was and tell me nice truck or where do they get one etc. I never had any issues with the local law, but again I drive the speed limit or slower on the highway, use my blinker and generally have kids in the carseat. Also, I tend to park up front at church and wash it out after hauling the manure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks