• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I have been draining water from my new SPIN-ON?

edpdx

I have another thread regarding poor engine performance, but I am not sure this question has anything to do with that thread, so I am asking in a new thread that maybe easier to find... if you are wondering about spin-on filter maintenance.

aaaaafilter.jpgThis is what I have- there is no provision- at least none that I have incorporated, that allow me to drain water that accumulates in the spin-on filter.

I have seen many other brands and configurations that allow such a purging. I see that there are replacement filters from NAPA and other sources that have a built-in petcock on the bottom of the filter. If I get such a filter- not the filter mount, will that allow my PurePro to let the water out?

sneekyeye

If you get a filter that uses a drain on the bottom, then yes, you can drain the water out of your filter. I have a filter with the drain and I've only ever got a teaspoon or so of water out of my hose when I drain it. I use howes diesel treat which claims to help separate the water from the fuel. I really only drain it a couple times a year.

dependable

If the replacement filter has a petcock, you should be able to drain out water, as water goes to the bottom.

I crack the bottom of my water separators to check as part of periodic maintenance. It is pretty easy to tell if it is water coming out or diesel. There almost always is not water. But one stop at a fueling station with bad fuel can add enough to cause immediate problems. That's why its nice to have a drain to check for that. Otherwise you have to change the filter just to check.

Drock

FM100 filter.jpg This is the fuel filter & base I installed. It's a (Stanadyne FM100 fuel manager) with a clear sight bowl & petcock on the bottom. And that thing sticking out the left side is a fuel heater probe. It's a little pricey, I think I paid over $100.00

Drock

Optima batteries.jpg
Nice installation, do you have any more pictures?
Well there's this one of the fuel filter and the battery tray mod I did. The fuel filter base basically just bolted into the stock bolt holes. I think I did use a coupe spacers so the fuel heater would clear the buss bar.

Drock

Nice setup for the price. With filters?
Yeah it came as pictured. I liked it for the options it offered such as the fuel heater, sight bowl/water separator, and even an extra port for a fuel gauge. I think they also offer a top with a big rubber plunger so you can prime the system. Come to think of it I might order one of those soon.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Nice setup, on my 82 civi I have the dual filter setup stock. One on firewall and the second on the backside of the intake and is kind of a bastage to get to but works really well.

Drock that equipment setup is far and above better. The way you setup makes doing service, maintenance easily accomplished. The one thing I would add would be to minimize the use of any soft line, hard line is my personal preference, minimizes the chance of the dreaded air bubbles, and with bends in the rubber line the rubber breaks down quicker inside the tube. Temporary setup great to get going but try to fabricate hardline as soon as you can and secondary filter before injector pump. My secondary filter would plug up with bits of fuel line and starve the injector pump for fuel. I would take off filter dump into glass jar and confirm what the debri was.

Dump filter if I could not make it home and crank till the system primed up again. GM starters are some of the best engineered, long lasting, abuse taking, mud, under water, deep cold, serviceable, and if you are careful at using will last.

Now on the 84 CUCV after I see how the system works with the existing filter. The Equipment that you chose looks like a great system to use. Either I will use the GM 2 filter setup that I have a duplicate of or use the setup you chose Drock, Thanks!

Last edited:

sneekyeye

If you unscrew the bottom drain you have to unscrew the top vent/drain or nothing will come out. I have to unscrew the bottom drain while its running on mine because the top vent handle is broken off. Ive been meaning to replace it, but its just never been a problem.