• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I or should I not? New from WA

ruSSrt

Hello everyone.

I been toying with idea of getting a toy. Many ideas were thrown around, but i always liked the look of those HMMWV. Well recently i looked at the govplanet and realized that they are more available now, than they used to be. Seen couple of them going for $11 and $10 in Cali and one recent one went for $13.5 in WA. I'm not going to spend that much for a toy truck, but i would like to pick it up for under( or up to $10 wishful thinking).

What do you gentlemen would suggest to a new guy?
\Reading bunch of stuff here i understand that this is not your typical daily driver. I would probably use it couple of times a week (30 mile drive to work) and just for fun around town. As a vehicle is it worth it? or its just a toy toy?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Do a little more research into the HMMWVs. The ones being auctioned by GP starting in the $5k range are branded "Off Road Only" and are not supposed to be allowed to be registered to drive on the streets. They are auctioning some that start around $25k that come with street titles. Just don't want you buying something and learning an expensive lesson that all animals aren't created equal.

ruSSrt

I knew i came to the right place. Thank you guys.

I'm under impression is that SF97 form takes care of that. Unless i misundestanding something. Does anyone have experience here with SF97 form and what is required of me to do to get a title?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also may want to scan the classified ads here. Lots of good green iron can be had for your budget or under! You'll know you are getting a good MV from another SS member.

srodocker

Welcome aboard! Your right up there next to paine field. Love that place. HMMWVS are defiantly cool looking, wouldnt mind one myself. Trying to get the wife onboard with that is another story lol. Anywho check out our PNW threads and PNW Steel soldier facebook pages for upcoming events. Fort Worden is next weekend, labor day weekend, and shall be a fun time!

ruSSrt

Welcome aboard! Your right up there next to paine field. Love that place. HMMWVS are defiantly cool looking, wouldnt mind one myself. Trying to get the wife onboard with that is another story lol. Anywho check out our PNW threads and PNW Steel soldier facebook pages for upcoming events. Fort Worden is next weekend, labor day weekend, and shall be a fun time!

Thank you.

Im actually couple of blocks away from paine field.
Thanks for letting me know, definitely will check it out.
Good thing that wifey already got her upgrade and its my turn :) she said i can get me a newer truck, but my 01 cummins going strong so no reason to upgrade for next 4 years. myght as well get me a toy.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and the hobby. Perhaps you should start with a reasonably priced (and usable) military truck, for those occasional drive outs and events,

ruSSrt

Welcome to the site and the hobby. Perhaps you should start with a reasonably priced (and usable) military truck, for those occasional drive outs and events,
Knowing myself i'm trying to hold on as long as possible because i know i will get sucked in pretty quick. Right now i would have room to park and work on hummer only... unfortunately.
Short term plan for next 2-4 years would be (depending on housing market) is to get some land out north Stanwood, camano island or arlington. Thats when i would need full size (i mean M35 or m1089)..... for now..... if i can..... i would like m998..

Or i can borrow my brother in law m1008 (i think thats what that one is)

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :) Have you looked at CUCV's? I have a M1009. I LOVE it!! It's fairly easy to work on, easy to find parts, easy to park, easy to buy tires (31x10.5x15 is a common size), gets 20 MPG, seats 5 comfortably, can be used as a daily driver, and runs all day at 65 MPH on the highway. Oh, and M1009's are A LOT cheaper than HMMWVs.
[thumbzup]:driver:

If you're not sure what you want, I strongly suggest spending as much time as you can on the forums reading and learning as much as you can. Join a local MV club. Ask members if they can take you for a ride, or let you drive their MVs so you get a feel for them.

ruSSrt

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :) Have you looked at CUCV's? I have a M1009. I LOVE it!! It's fairly easy to work on, easy to find parts, easy to park, easy to buy tires (31x10.5x15 is a common size), gets 20 MPG, seats 5 comfortably, can be used as a daily driver, and runs all day at 65 MPH on the highway. Oh, and M1009's are A LOT cheaper than HMMWVs.
[thumbzup]:driver:

If you're not sure what you want, I strongly suggest spending as much time as you can on the forums reading and learning as much as you can. Join a local MV club. Ask members if they can take you for a ride, or let you drive their MVs so you get a feel for them.
Thank you for advice. I have played with M1008. My brother in law has one and he has a love/hate relationship with it. I personally enjoy that thing. If i wont be able to get me an HMMWWV, i will totally look in to them.
Wanted to get something different, to be a little different :) if you know what i mean.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel compelled to share a few words of wisdom with you. Choose the vehicle that you AND your family will enjoy together. If ya'll like the truck, y'all are going to want to take it out to the grocery store, make ice cream runs in it, pour money into it for upgrades, etc. If you are the only one that likes it, you will soon find that it will become a object of contention within your family. It could become the topic of arguments and division.

The next lesson is one I learned the hard way. Buy a vehicle that is already restored. It costs you more up front, but is ALWAYS cheaper in the long run. Vehicles that have been restored will still need some level of TLC. You will be able to learn about your vehicle while reading through the TMs and doing preventative maintenance. Buying a major project will cost major amounts of time and LOTS of $$$$$.

Just my 2cents + tax. I hope this helps you in some small way.

DaBoomhower

welcome ruSSrt, Im a long time lurker, spouse's are kind of a big deal, at one point I had my wife prepd and ready for a duece. long story short I could no longer put money into my slush fund.. infact we went down to 200.00 in that acct... >: but life happens. with how cheap hmmwvs are iv been considering one lately. mainly for the seating for the kiddos. but with a duece you have so many options and the one I want-ed is hard to come by. HMMWV's are hit or miss on condition. the one that looks showroom ready could be the one that costs 25,000.

one thing Iv noticed is the HMMWVs here in WA (im on the eastside) they tend to have damage from the salt we put down, and some of the HMMWVs are coming from the bases there on the water out west (they play hard). very few from fairchild and spokane (they may go to id/utah?)

check out northwaest-hmmwv.82041.x6.nabble.com to see what is being worked on for legislation to get HMMWV's safety inspected and legally registered for on road use. and on that note dont even think of posting anything about registering your HMMWV on here. thread will be locked, posts deleted, someone will come to your door, etc... the powers at be cant wrap their minds around converting one for on road use because of the verbiage in the EUC. PM me for further.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I knew i came to the right place. Thank you guys.

I'm under impression is that SF97 form takes care of that. Unless I misunderstand something. Does anyone have experience here with SF97 form and what is required of me to do to get a title?
The only way it works is if you buy it from GSA, a SF97 from any other seller you will need extra paper work like a reassignment of title, BOS, plus extra fees and not sure if they take a SF97 as 'some states don't. GSA is the only one that makes the SF97 in your name plus they don't charge taxes, auction fees or extra for the SF97.

Last edited:

ruSSrt

well... it took a while and finally its here. working on getting it cleaned and pressure washed but weather been un-cooperative here. So taking it slow. Had hard time starting it, but i think i figured out.
After i pressure wash the whole thing i'll go through engine and check everything. Waiting on some wire to arrive to do my grounding harness and already have new glow plugs for it.
Slowly buying oil's and filters to get it all done at once.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks