• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

should I replace mech vac pump with 12v electric pump on M1009

cucv newbie

Has anyone ever tried to replace the mechanical vacuum pump with a 12 volt electric vac pump. I am told that early eighties GM 4 cylinder cars used such a pump to run the HVAC controls. My mech pump is toast so, the trans is very erratic. I was thinking there must be some gain in removing the mech pump from the already underpowered 6.2L. I have already replaced the vac lines. Mech vac pump is confirmed DOA. If you apply vacuum with a hand pump at start up, it shifts fine. Any thoughts? Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to have something to drive the oil pump. If you remove the vacuum pump your engine will last for a few minutes.

Keith_J

The vacuum pump is part of the calibrated system that makes the TH400 think it is behind a gasoline engine. The vacuum regulator valve attached to the injection pump has a variable pressure and a set leakdown rate for the variable pressure.

This makes the vacuum vary with throttle position just like a gasoline engine. Changing the vacuum pump to a constant volume unit driven by an electric motor would negate this design. The stock pump has a volume flow rate proportional to the engine RPM and the regulator's position.

Don't do it.

Keith_J

Rockauto? I'm no way connected to this company nor am I endorsing them. Check part numbers against the technical manual -P.

cucv newbie

can these be rebuilt?? If not, does it make sense to buy a used one, or will I have this problem again in the near future. The 1009 is primarily only used for hunting once a year, and occasional joy riding and 4 wheeling.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilt ones at your local parts house.

Oreilly's
Cardone 64-1201 - $110 rebuilt
BWD VDV15 -$280 new