• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I?

kassim503

dont forget a screwdriver to jump the GP relay!

but in all seriousness, if you need to drive a 20+ year vehicle a long distance, a 1009 really is a great choice reliability wise- its made to turn highway speeds with that 3.08 gear ratio.

Lagers4myhead

drive up to Seattle

board the ferry with your truck AND trailer

ride the ferry through the inside straits to the destination CLOSEST to where you need to go

get off the ferry and drive a short distance to your destination

my brother did this with his family in his large truck, towing a 20 ft trailer - arrived without incident in Anchorage

HE DID THIS IN THE SUMMER THOUGH...

not sure what to tell you about moving at this time of the year
I will be moving towards the end of May so the weather shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think the ferry is going to be how I go about this, a lot easier than dealing with Canadians and their crazy guns laws.

Lagers4myhead

I would give your vacuum lines a good look over before you leave and fix the problem. I would drive the whole way, western canada has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. You will also need a block heater and battery heater for sure when you get up there.
I am hoping to get the vacuum lines check out tomorrow if I can get out of work early and the weather cooperates. So a block heater and a battery heater? Is that part of the arctic package for the M-1009?

Lagers4myhead

The last time I checked the military will ship firearms and they also will pay extra if you have two vehicles and driving. You just need to get it approved ahead of time.

Also please remember you are ENTITLED to 10 days TOTAL hotel stay in conus. So you could have 3 days at your old duty station and have 7 remaining for you new station. This is filed with your travel claim. You cannot claim the hotel stays while you are on the road for any part of this 10 day claim.

Know your Benefits | Military.com
I will have to check that out with the yeoman tomorrow, being able to ship firearms and keep my civic would be great.

bshupe

edpdx

I got just two words for you... Trout Rod. No. strike that. Bug repellant. Wait, Grizzly Bears- uh uh, Ava Lanche. :D

soule64

I would also recommend the ferry - I took it from Haines to Seattle when I PCS'd. Slept in a bag on the observation deck for 4 nights so I didn't have to rent a room. Not sure if they still let you do it or not, but it was a lot of fun at the time. I took the trip in early March and there was still a ton of snow, so I couldn't imagine driving the ALCAN...

197thhhc

I think the drive would be awesome. If the military will ship your firearms I would drive the whole way. If they wont I would use the ferry. Good luck. I think a steel soldiers video documentary is in order. You could meet up with groups along the way.

Blueduce

You have to do it. A trip like that would be epic. I second the fly rod and the bug repellant. Are you going up as a PCS move or are they sending you TDY?

armytruck63

If you do the trip in early May, you could end up in that small window between when the snow melts and the mosquitos come out. My dad was in Anchorage during the Korean War. He arrived in May and the plants were turning green, but the snowshoe rabbits were still white. In a couple of weeks, the rabbits were brown and the bugs were out in force.

1StumpJumper

I live about 10 minutes from the ferry terminal in Bellingham WA about 80 miles N. of Seattle. Feel free to look me up if you need a recharge or help before the boat ride.

Lagers4myhead

You have to do it. A trip like that would be epic. I second the fly rod and the bug repellant. Are you going up as a PCS move or are they sending you TDY?
They are PCSing me, it's a two year billet. I have heard about the bugs up there, I will have to get some serious repellent. I think the trip will be epic, I just hope it's not too epic (I.E. serious mechanical or other miscellaneous issue).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks