• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should unlocked hubs be warm to the touch after driving?

Napoleon_Tanerite

I just got my M1009 a few weeks ago. It runs great with no known mechanical issues, but there is one thing that has me slightly concerned.

After driving the front hubs are warm to the touch... not so hot as I can't touch them, but definitely warmer than I think they should be. They both seem to be approximately equal in temperature.

Is this a normal condition, or should I start looking into my front brakes and bearings?

Scarecrow1

Unless there making noise are smoking I wouldnt worry about them , If you have to check the brakes or something you have to remove the wheel for do a look over on them.

ida34

Having the hubs locked in does not generate much extra heat in the hub. It would heat up the front diff as that would not have been moving with the hubs unlocked and would be moving with the hubs locked. The things that generate heat in the hubs are mostly the brakes followed by the friction of the bearings. Bad bearings can heat the hubs up and dragging brakes can also heat up the hubs. If they are just warm to the touch then you should be OK. If they are both equally warm you should be OK. If one is appreciably warmer than the other then you should check for bearing or brake problems.

4bogginchevys

whats outside air temp? my hubs are warm like you speak of when it's 80-90 outside, if it's 20-30 where your at than they shouldn't even get warm enough to warm your hands while you change a flat tire:-D